From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone using Red Hawk?

We are using Concurrent's Real-Time OS called Red Hawk.  I was wondering if anyone else has any experience using LabVIEW on Red Hawk?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,464 Views)

Not using that but I would not see how it could be used to run LabVIEW on other than as target for the LabVIEW CPU SDK version.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,365 Views)

I am not sure what "CPU SDK" is?  When I searched ni.com all I came up with was the Microprocessor SDK.  This is not a microprocessor application.  Can you point me in a direction?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,365 Views)

I meant the Microprocessor SDK and there sure is a microprocessor in your system.

The Microprocessor SDK is needed when you want to develop LabVIEW applications for a 32bit target system, whose OS, CPU or hardware setup is not supported by one of the other LabVIEW modules (RT, PDA, ARM, AD Blackfin).

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,365 Views)

OH.. That processor!  Sorry, my brain went of in left field when I started investigating the SDK capablility.  I am going to have to look into this SDK further, but thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,365 Views)

If you are using an x86 processor and Red Hawk Linux is close enough to other Linux distributions then you can probably install and run LabVIEW with a problem. However, LabVIEW for Linux is not real-time. It does things that we would not normally do in a real-time environment that could prevent deterministic timing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,365 Views)

Can you let me in on some of the things that LabVIEW might do that would prevent

determinisitic timing?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,365 Views)

I'm not an expert on RT or determinism, so I'm sure someone else could give you a more complete answer, but off the top of my head you might have to worry about the VI server or web server taking requests during the real-time loop, we might use more mutexes in places where on RT we might use a different strategy, and we might run code to interact with the editor when it's unnecessary. You also have to consider the fact that on Linux we're doing UI work with an X server (certainly not deterministic), whereas on a real RT system we don't do any UI stuff at all (if there is a UI it runs on the host system).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,365 Views)