Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Linux software base support Simulated Devices?

I've only ever used National Instruments products through the DAQmx Base drivers via C programs so I'm not sure what capabilities I may or may not have on Linux. 

I saw today that DAQmx 7.4 and later supports "Simulated Devices" that allow one to make calls into the NI driver without having those devices physically present. 

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3698/en/#toc2

I'd love something like this in order to benchmark my Linux code on a variety of platforms- is it possible to use Simulated Devices on Linux?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,204 Views)
@sf900 wrote:

I've only ever used National Instruments products through the DAQmx Base drivers via C programs so I'm not sure what capabilities I may or may not have on Linux.

I hope you're aware that only a few specific distros - in pretty old versions - are supported. Proprietary drivers just don't work reliably on GNU/Linux.

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,190 Views)

Hi metux,

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Is there another C API other than DAQmx Base?

For what it's worth, I've never had serious problems with the DAQmx Base driver other than critically bad documentation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,186 Views)

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Is there another C API other than DAQmx Base?

The right solution would be writing proper IIO drivers. But as long as NI is keeping the necessary specs a state secret, it will require a lot of reverse engineering work.

Just buying hw from a more professional vendor like is much cheaper.

I've once evaluated the crios for some clients. Conclusion: unusable for us.

For what it's worth, I've never had serious problems with the DAQmx Base driver other than critically bad documentation. 

Maybe you're fine w/ some specific, old, unsupported distro and kernel.

Maybe you're fine w/ a broken cpu architecture called x86.

Maybe you're fine w/ a ugly proprietary API, instead of IIO.

--mtx

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,182 Views)