cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with variable view

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am debugging a piece of code in CVI2017; the code is a short function with local and global variables. I have a breakpoint in this function and once the debugger stops at the breakpoint I want to inspect some variable values.

View Variable View works as expected if the cursor is positioned over a local variable: the Variable and Call Stack window opens and the line with the selected variable is highlighted.

For some reason this does not work when I want to see the variable value that is defined in the same project but in a different file, i.e. as external.

Any suggestions what I should do to see all my variable values?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,429 Views)

To elaborate a bit more, the sample code looks like that:

void TestFunction ( void )

{

int test = 0;

test = extern_test;

return;

}

Now, right clicking and selecting 'View Variable Value' on the local variable test works (i.e., brings up the Variables window and highlights the variable), right-clicking on the externally defined variable extern_test does not bring up the Variables window. This seems to contradict the description in the manual Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,404 Views)

With the simple project I attach it works for me. Is your use case different?

Message 3 of 9
(3,397 Views)

Hi Constantin,

with your project everything works as expected...

Thanks for your interest, now I will have to search for the differences...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,394 Views)

Actually it may also happen to global variables that are not external, hm... Smiley Indifferent : right clicking and selecting 'View Variable Value' does not bring up the Variables window. So far I have not found the reason why sometimes Variable view works and sometimes not (it is not an especially memory hungry project)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,357 Views)

In the mean time the issue has been reproduced by NI, they have assigned CAR #703092

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,291 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

...and it has been fixed in CVI 2019 Smiley Happy

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,886 Views)

How do I see the details of the CAR and solution?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,299 Views)

For every release of CVI there is a list of bug fixes / resolved issues, for 2019 this list is https://www.ni.com/de-de/support/documentation/bugs/19/-labwindows--cvi---2019-bug-fixes.html

Although in this specific case no more details are given, the bug is gone and I am happy 😁

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,292 Views)