LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple console application on real-time target

Hi,

I am looking into creating a simple console application on a real-time target. However, it doesn't seem like it will be as easy as I expected. I noticed in the BIOS that Legacy USB Support is turned off since the Boot Configuration is LabVIEW RT, and there seems to be no way to override that. I was hoping to use the stdlib and fgets or something of the sort, but it seems that will not be an option.

What are the options I have as far as implementing this? I just need something simple to read in a line from the keyboard when available. 

Thanks in advance, and please bear with me, I'm new to LabWindows/CVI Realtime module.

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,562 Views)

Hi,

If you let us know what real-time target you are using, it could help us see whether overriding the legacy USB support is an option. Furthermore, here is a guide we have for gettings started with the CVI Real-Time Module that might answer some questions of yours.

Getting Started with the LabWindows/CVI Real-Time Module
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374686e.pdf

Alex C.

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

Alex C.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,507 Views)

Hi,

This is being developed for a PXIe 8820. 

I've also briefly played with the notion of using using the NI VISA Library to treat the USB Keyboard as a RAW resource, but I can't seem to find any guide to configuring that correctly. I managed to successfully open the resource, but I can't seem to read any input from the keyboard successfully.

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,501 Views)

Hi Alex,

Just wanted to ping you on this topic. Have you been able to find any solution?

Thanks,

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,470 Views)

Hi,

I dug into this issue a bit more and found that once you are booted into LabVIEW RT, the USB port can only be used for storage. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the keyboard via USB even with VISA commands. If you got a serial keyboard, however, you may be able to communicate to the controller using VISA commands through the serial port.

Alex C.

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

Alex C.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 5 of 5
(2,464 Views)