cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing a Labview front panel from Labwindows/CVI

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a data acquisition program that basically operates like this: 

User Panel: Front panel the user can configure acquistion (add calibration files, turn off and on inputs, set trigger type etc.) (this is for software being sold to customers).

Main Panel: Parallel loops that control the user panel and the 50 or so subvis that analyse the data (some of these call DLLs and .exes for more complex analysis).

The problem I've run into is that Labview really isn't built for complex calculations like this and building the subvis is tedious. I inherited this code and the previous developer used 50+ globals to pass data back and forth between the subvis simultaneously and put all these weird waits in to trick Labview into not crashing and its just a mess.It works, but its a mess.

I have never used LabWindows/CVI but from what I understand it may help me. I'm wondering if I can use it to essentially eliminate all the subvis and globals and do all my complex calculations and analysis in C (actually the DLLs it calls are in C) and just use Labview as the graphical interface. The only thing I haven't been able to determine from my research is whether I can call Labview front panels from LabWindows/CVI. For example, I have a sophisticated front panel with silver controls and custom logos (nice and pretty for the customer) that I want to be able to call as well as a multiple file selection vi (also pretty and sophisticated) that I can't really replicate in LabWindows/CVI. Would I be able to do this? 

Also, forgive me if I use incorrect terms, I'm self-taught in Labview (and other programming languages for that matter) and I'm still learning things. I hope I've been able to convey the basic gist of it! Thanks for your help!

Edit: This is Labview 2012 and LabWindows/CVI 2012 Full Development if that helps

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,147 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zizi1991

Hello Zizi

You cannot call Labview front panels from LabWindows/CVI but you can call DLLs written in CVI from LabView.

You can find explanation and links in this discussion

Message 2 of 3
(2,097 Views)

Ahh, I see, thank you! I think that may be the route to take then.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,089 Views)