LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menu Lock-ups with Windows 2003 SP 3

The menus are locked up or can not be accessed with LabWindows/CVI 8.1. This function used to work in LabWindows/CVI 6.0. I have seen other references (and have experienced the same lockup problems) with various OS, including XP and 2000. There has been no resolution to date.

The support team has implied that the issue is Windows related but it is the only application (according to my customers) that the lock ups occur.

The support forum has several complaints issued from other developers.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,996 Views)
Hello,

Is the locking up consistent or sporadic? Do other parts of the program function or does using the menu crash the whole program? Some more information about this program's behavior would be helpful.

Adam

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,975 Views)

Greetings,

It happens all of the time. All aspects of the program work and operate except the menu items. As soon as you select the menu, the program locks up solid. There are several postings about the subject by several users. It does not get to the point where you can open a menu.

I also have shortcuts with toolbar buttons. The buttons work fine. It will open a new panel without issues. As soon as you pull down a menu, the program locks up sold.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,970 Views)
Hello,

When you select one of the menus, the program stops functioning completely?  Does it ever resume execution or do you have to terminate the application?  Also, do the menus appear at all or does the program freeze as soon as you click on one of them without displaying the menu?

Have you tried to run one of the menu examples that are included with the CVI installation? Would it be possible for you to see if the example program found at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\CVI81\samples\userint\menus.prj demonstrates the same behavior.

Regards,

Jonathan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 6
(2,938 Views)
It freezes once you select the menu item. You can see the menus, but it locks up solid and the program must be terminated with Ctrl-Alt-Del.

All menu related programs do this (there are several mentions of this issue on the forum), including your examples.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,931 Views)
I have done some additional research and I have yet to be able to reproduce the problem on my end.  However, I would like to try and boot into Diagnostic Startup mode to see if that changes the menu behavior.  If this works, then there is possibly a windows system service that could be conflicting with the way that CVI handles menus.

Boot in Diagnostic Startup mode:
    1. Open the System Configuration Utility by going to Start -> Run -> msconfig
    2. Select the option to boot in Diagnostic Startup mode and hit OK
    3. Select Restart in the prompt that appears
    4. After your computer has restarted, check to see if the same menu behavior is observed

If the menus work in Diagnostic Startup mode, then one of the Windows services will be what is causing the issue.  If this is the case, we can try enabling them one at a time in the Services Control Panel (Start -> Run -> services.msc) until the broken menu behavior is again observed.

Additionally, can you confirm which version of Windows / Service Pack you are using?  It looks like the latest Service Pack for Windows Server 2003 is Service Pack 2.  Is this what you are using as opposed to SP3?
Message 6 of 6
(2,907 Views)