LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement studio

I use CVI 2010. I would prefer C++. My question is, how easy it it to go from CVI to VC++ and Measurment Studio?

Will I still have the controls that come with CVI (slider, thermometer, gauges, etc)?

Is it difficult to work with NI hardware?

I can't use evaluation versions of measurement studio (I there are any) at work. I either have to talk the powers that be into buying it, or not use it at all.

One last question... Does it work with VC++ express?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,529 Views)

As of Measurement Studio 2010, C++ MFC support in Measurement Studio is not considered Legacy and no longer actively developed. We still sell a Legacy version of Measurement Studio, but our guidance is that we only recommend this product for maintaining existing projects or when C++ is an explicit requirement. The reason we recommend to not create new projects in Meausrement Studio C++ is because you must consider the long term maintainability of your project if we are not releasing new versions.

Having said that, Measurement Studio for C++ MFC is a great product that offers a similar set of user interface controls to that which you find in CVI. They are not the same controls, but are similar in design and style and use ActiveX technology instead (you have already seen this if you have used the 3D Graph in CVI). You can find more details on the features of this product in this article: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3637

Fortunately, working with NI Hardware is going to be a very similar experience as you found in CVI because you will be using the same API in both products for most NI Drivers.

There is not really a transition path for moving from CVI to Measurement Studio for C++ because they are different languages, environments, and controls. However, we do offer the LabWindows/CVI Conversion Wizard, a tool that ships with CVI for converting a CVI project to a Visual Studio project. This will get you most of the way there in transferring your code to C++, but the UI will need to be redesigned to take advantage of the Measurement Studio controls. More info here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C6E2279078DEABDC86256896005D8F02

Alternatively, you can use the Conversion Wizard to create your C++ project, then program for the CVI RunTime Engine in C++. You will still have to use CVI to edit your .uir files, but if you prefer working with C++ in Visual Studio over C in CVI, then this may be the simplest solution.

We no longer have an evaluation version of Measurement Studio for Visual C++ available on our site. If you are interested in this product, please review our Legacy Support page for Measurement Studio and follow the instructions for requesting the product. Please note that there are two separate Legacy versions of Measurement Studio and the version of Visual Studio you plan to work in will determine which version you need.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,516 Views)