LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labwindows/CVI 8.1.1 fail to start

I try to launch  Labwindows/CVI 8.1.1 after installation and  get a modal window with yellow sign of exclamation mark with no explanation. When I click OK Labwindows/CVI quit with no error message.

Thank you.

Elik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,368 Views)
Hi Elik, I had a few more questions for you. Is this the first time you have installed LabWindows/CVI? Have you tried repairing or reinstalling? Do you have any other versions of CVI installed on this computer? What operating system are you using?
Eric B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,346 Views)

Hello Eric,

Yes, it is the first time I install LabWindow/CVI.

I've tried to repair, but although repair went through with no problem, launching Labwindows/CVI gave the same problem.

Removing the software and  and reinstalling gave the same results.

I'm using XP service pack 3.

I might have older versions from older distributions.

Thank you.

Elik

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,336 Views)

Elik,

Let's check a couple of things to see what the problem is...

1. Is CVI licensed properly?  To check, open up NI License Manager (Start»All Programs»National Instruments»NI License Manager).  Find the entry for LabWindows/CVI 8.1 and expand it to see where it says "Development Environment".  If the box next to that is fully green, you're fine.  If it is yellow or half yellow, you need to activate it.  Right click on "Development Environment" and click "Activate..." and follow the procedure to activate it.

2. If CVI is licensed properly, I'd like to look at an entry in your registry to see if that gives any information on why CVI is not launching.  Open your registry editor (Start»Run... and enter "regedit" without the quotes and click OK)  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\CVI\8.1 .  Right-click on the 8.1 folder and click Export.  Save the file somewhere and then post it here on the forum as an attachment.

3. One other thing to try would be to run dependency walker on your CVI exe to see if it can find what files your CVI can not find.  Instructions on getting and using dependency walker can be found at this knowledge base article: KB 4AIJ65TS: How Can I Determine If a DLL Has All Required Dependencies? .  Once you run that on your EXE (the EXE is normally located here: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\CVI81\cvi.exe), and if it says it can not find some files, post a list of the files here and I can take a look at it.

Eric B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,304 Views)

Eric,

Thank you for your help.

1. I check the my licenses and all are green. I now discover on top of it that TestStand 4.0 stop working after the CVI installation. It did not show up and when I try to launch it again it come up with message 'memory corrupt or occupied by application'(I hope it is accurate since it disappear quickly. I also saw another message with CVI(show only once after installation) 'checking compatibility(same thing, it disappear quickly.

My labview 8.5.1 works fine.

2. Attach the registry file as well for CVI and TestStand 4.0.

3. I attached 3 files as you requested.

Thanks again.

Elik

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,298 Views)

Eric,

I also attach the TestStand sequence editor dependecy file

Elik

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,295 Views)

Elik,

Thanks for the files.  For TestStand, the dependency file looks fine.  Can you get the exact text of that error message you see?

As for CVI, the registry looks ok, and we're still looking into how one of your dlls is missing.  It may or may not be an issue, but I'll let you know. One more thing to try is run a profile on your cvi.exe with dependency walker.  To do this, open Dependency Walker, and select File»Open, navigate to your cvi.exe and click Open.  After it has navigated the dependencies, select Profile»Start Profiling...  For the options on the menu that comes up, check every box except for "Log first chance exceptions".  This will launch CVI and log everything that happens when trying to launch.  Once you get your blank message and hit OK, go back to Dependency Walker and get the log. Copy the entire log into Word or Wordpad (Start»Run, type "wordpad" without the quotes and hit OK) and save it to a file and post here.  Saving to Word or Wordpad preserves the formatting so we can see the lines highlighted in red.

Thanks for getting all this information; I hope we will be able to figure out the root of your problem through all of this.

Eric B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,281 Views)

Eric,

Attached are files of dependence profile log for CVI. I also attach the CVI dependency log since it is different now.

Also, Teststand does not show that error message I reported anymore, it is simply will not launch. I such hearthe disk drive starting the process and after a few seconds stop. I check my drive for any faults but none found.

Thank you.

Elik

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,272 Views)

Hi Elik,

Thanks a lot for the information.  We are looking into it and I will get back with you as soon as I can.

Eric B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,248 Views)

Hi Elik,

I just had a few more questions about your install.  First, have you tried installing this on any other machine?  If so, does that yield the same result?  Second, do you have any other versions of CVI on your machine?  Third, you can try installing the CVI 9.0 evaluation version from our website: CVI 9.0 Evaluation.  If that still doesn't work, then we at least know it doesn't have anything to do with your version of CVI.

Also, can you run one of the shipping examples that comes with CVI?  This will let us know if your runtime engine is working properly.  Try the Icon Edit example at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\CVI81\samples\apps\iconedit\iconedit.exe

Eric B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,226 Views)