From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function tooltip does not work with function pointers

I think the whole tooltip system is a bit broken. I defined several function pointers inside a struct.

struct MyModule
{
	int (*foo)(int value);
	int (*bar)(int value);
};

However, if I call one of them , the usual tooltip does not appear. What I'd like to see is something like this:

bug.png

Is there any possible way to achieve this behavior?

The tooltip does sometimes appear if the function which the pointer is pointing to is named exactly like the field inside the struct. So if I assigned a function called bar to the bar function pointer, the tooltip would sometimes appear. In general, if there is a function in my project which has the same name as my function pointer the tooltip appears every now and then.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,146 Views)

Hello kkeller!

The fact that CVI is displaying the Function Tooltip for the bar function is not due to the fact that you assigned the function pointer with function having the same name. It's rather due to the fact that CVI has a broader scope of where it will display the Function Tooltip for a known function. You can even invoke the Function Tooltip inside a comment.

However, unfortunately CVI does not currently support displaying the Function Tooltip for pointer variables.

Best regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,109 Views)