LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor Disappears When Scrolling In Text Editor

Using CVI 2017 with Win 10. When using the text editor and holding down the cursor buttons, the cursor disappears until released, then it reappears.

I have good Radeon cards and using HDMI and DisplayPort; they both do it. Played with refresh rates, no joy.  Does anyone else have this behavior?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,761 Views)

Hi Scottrod,

I have Win 10 and CVI 2017 too. I don't see any of the cursors disappearing when I use them. Could you post a screenshot or gif so that I can make sure I'm trying the same thing?

ZK
Technical Support Engineer | NI | Not actually retired but I don't know how to change that
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,729 Views)

With more use, the problem seems to come and go. Some days the cursor will disappear, other days it will be visible when scrolling. 

A static screen shot won't capture the issue, it's dynamic. Say I'm on a line of code, I then hit and hold the right arrow cursor move key, the text cursor takes off to the right like it should, but it 'disappears' until I release the cursor right key. I don't know where it is until I release. Other days it's fine and the cursor refreshes as it should and you can see it as it moves across the screen. 

Today it's working fine as it should, but it seems most days it disappears. Will work with it some more to try and figure out what triggers the issue. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Oops, I spoke too soon. It's disappearing again, within the same CVI instance session.

Edit 2: And now it's working again after executing code, stopping and going back to the text editor. Hmm.

Edit 3: And again disappears, a minute or two later. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,644 Views)

Hello!

Have you tried something similar in another text editor? Any similar behavior? It can help us rule out Windows OS/resolution/refresh rates affecting things. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,626 Views)

HA! Figured out how this happens and how to correct it.

The problem occurs when using a split screen where you can see two chunks of code in the same C file (which I do a lot).

After a period of time, the cursor disappears and moves very slowly, reappearing when you release the cursor move buttons. To reset cursor operation to the normal condition, you have to eliminate the split screen and it works fine. You can set the split again and it works fine for a time until it hangs operation again.

So, the problem is tied to the split screen. At least I can correct it when it happens, which is frequently. Leave the split in place and see it it happens to you. It usually takes about 5 minutes of working (moving around, copying, cutting, pasting, the usual) before it happens, but it's obvious when it does.

Message 5 of 7
(2,410 Views)

Hi Scott,

I tried this out, and I couldn't manage to reproduce the problem by simply using the editor while split into subwindows. Could you generate a crash dump of CVI while it's in the weird state? Here's an article that goes over how to do that if you haven't before:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/931673/how-to-create-a-user-mode-process-dump-file-in-windo...

The file will probably be too big to attach, so you can FTP it using this tutorial.

I'm not quite sure if this will help, but hopefully it will at least give me an idea of the state of the editor when it happens.

Cheers,

Ryan Curtis

Product Support Engineer

Automated Test Software R&D

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,381 Views)

Requested data sent.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,237 Views)