From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xcontrols causing LabView to crash

I started looking into X-controls about a week ago, and I've been having quite a bit of problems with them crashing LabView, and freezing up the front panel of the controlling VI.

I've tried different x-controls that I have made, and all of them seem to end up freezing my front panel, and usually results in me having to force a quit in LabView.

I am curious if this is a problem that others have come across in LabView, and if there is a solution to my problem. Is it possible that I am just missing something crucial in my xcontrol block diagrams? I have only been programming in LabView for about a month and a half, so I'm not an expert or anything, I have however worked through all of Core 1 and Core 2, and I've skimmed through relevant topics in Core 3.

Please let me know if you have come across a problem like this before, or if you are very familiar with Xcontrols and could possibly give me a few hints for programming xcontrols that won't crash on me. As well if anyone has any good examples that I can open in my LabView and just check out how you have executed them that would be greatly appreciated thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,098 Views)

I believe that this is not actually freezing but it is happening due to an event structure which is locking the front panel while it executes. I would recommend your review the code and check for that.

I found one article Creating New Front Panel Objects with LabVIEW XControls. The code ships with the LV examples, you can find it in the NI Example Finder.

Yupeng J.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,082 Views)

Is LabVIEW actually crashing, or are you saying that because it appears that the front panel freezes up. There's a big difference between the two. If it's freezing up, then the suspicion alluded to in the previous post is a likely scenario. If it's actually crashing, that's a different story.

Please upload your code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,077 Views)

I guess that most often the front panel is just freezing up. Like I can't abort the VI, save it, or close it when it happens. Is this just the front panel freezing up?

There was one instance where LabView did completely crash though.

Attached is the file for one of the Xcontrols I built which is causing me problems. Let me know if doesn't work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,068 Views)

That file is just the container file. There's no code there. You need to upload the individual XControl VIs. It would also help if you provided a VI where the behavior you describe is replicated.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,058 Views)