LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writing strings to file

This is probably very simple but i cannot figure it out.I 'm used to line by line programming and still very new to labview
thats my excuse anyway....

I have a concatenated string that i want to append to a file.There will be several strings going to the file over time and
i want them all seperate lines.At the end of the program the file will be closed.

I am using version 8.0 and there are the following options in the File I/O menu.
Write to spreadsheet which does not work directly with strings......Write to text file which does not seem to allow appending to files.

Can anyone advise who this can be done ?      Either a text file or spreadsheet file would be fine.

Labtech5555
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,265 Views)

Hi labtech5555,

you can use the function "Write to Text File". Hope this helps.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,261 Views)

Hi Mike,

Tried modifying your VI into my program the best i could.Possibly made a mistake which is my fault

but the data going to the file is over written everytime a new string is sent to the file.At the end of my string

i have the end of line character which i assume is correct.

Attached is a picture.

Thanks,

Labtech5555

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,242 Views)

Hi labtech5555,

try this version. Hope it helps.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 02-29-2008 02:18 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,229 Views)
This is the expected default behaviour when using a file refnum. See attached example that shows how to add data to the end of a file. The context help of Write to Text File will share some light.

I removed the while loop because it is not needed in your case.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,223 Views)

Thanks Guys,

Got it working now.....Your help is much appreciated.Smiley Very Happy

Labtech5555

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,200 Views)