From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wire labels cannot be moved

I've developed VIs using LabVIEW 2010 and inserted wire labels.  Now I'm running 2014 and new wire labels cannot be moved.  Old ones, created in 2010, can be.  Is there some option that needs to be reset?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,253 Views)

Was there support for actual wire labels in LV 2010?  I can't remember.  I know that before the advent of actual wire labels, you had to create a free label and position it over a wire, while in LV 2014 you could create an actual wire label that is actually attached to a wire.

Perhaps you are confusing the two different ways to label a wire?  This would explain what you are seeing.

edit:

Ahhh, I see now that actual wire labels began with LV 2010, so this is likely not the cause...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,220 Views)

Yeah I think you're going to have to post the code so we can see more.  Maybe there is something wrong with this VI where NI can fix it, or maybe it has already been fixed in newer versions.  Dumb question I know, but is the VI locked?  CTRL+M?  It sounds like you developed it and know when a VI is locked and not, but I thought I'd ask.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,187 Views)

I am using actual wire labels, not free labels.  And not my VI is not locked.  I've had reason to create new VIs and they don't have this problem.  I guess I need to find out what is unique about my older VIs ... other than being developed in VL 2010.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,113 Views)

Looking at the help files for 2010 on under Block Diagram Page (Options Dialog Box) there has never been a means to lock a wire label.  So I suspect the locked Lables may be free lables:  Nope just Can't lock Those either.   

BUT, If I take a terminals label and move it over the wire inside a structure with autogrow off then lock the label. Bingo!

Quick Test: right click the label and see if it has a Lock Label option

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,089 Views)

There is no lock label option.

The wire label cannot be selected independently from the wire.  It can be made visible and unvisible,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,020 Views)

faustina,

I suspect you have "Labels locked by default" checked in the Tools->Options->Block Diagram Menu AND your new wires are inside of structures (loop, etc). Try disabling that checkbox and note that wire labels created after the change can be moved.

The documentation states that wire labels can never be locked. This is incorrect (you can lock them by checking that box AND making a wire label visible inside a block diagram structure).

There is a Corrective Action Request on the issue (#328647), but it has been rejected/deferred by the Development team. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,985 Views)