LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows search results, list same vis, compare together

Hello,

I have a vi with same name in different locations which i found through windows search and by sorting them by "date modified" shows that they were written on some dates since 2008-2014.(almost every year has a modified version ,code wise internally)

and this vi is being called in a main vi which is now an executable, is there a way to find out which of these locations might have been used to include this vi.

if not possible to get these subvi locations inside the exe

is there a way to automate the process of "searching in windows-->getting a list of locations of the vi-->comparing all together to see differences inside"

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,456 Views)
The only place that would have the path of the VIs would be the project and build spec. A proper source code control system would have the entire project linked to a release number/version.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,451 Views)
The easiest way of handling things is:

1. Makes sure you never have more than one VI on disk with the same name. But remember that the VI name isn't necessarily the same thing as the file name since the VI name includes any library and/or class to which the VI belongs.

2. Implement a good source control system so you can roll your development environment to the state it was in at any given point in time.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,429 Views)

Yup, SCC.

Since that wasn't used there isn't much you can do.  You have a built EXE and you aren't going to get the source out of it, to be able to know what was used.  The best I guess you could do is look at the date the EXE was created, and the date the file was last modified.  But that doesn't mean that version was used.

I guess another thing you could do is try to find the differences in the code between all of your versions.  Like do they behave slightly different, or look different?  Then you could open your EXE and try to see which version it looks like, or behaves like.  But if they all look the same, and work the same from a high level, you will not have much luck.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,391 Views)

Thanks, all valuable inputs.

are there good practices of how the folders are named / structured for SCC, any guides setting up scc?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,350 Views)

@freemason wrote:

Thanks, all valuable inputs.

are there good practices of how the folders are named / structured for SCC, any guides setting up scc? 

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/large-labview-application-development/blog/2010/03/29/using-su...

Ultimatly it is what ever works best for you, but this is a good start.  Oh here are a few other articles that have very good information, but some of it looking dated showing older versions of SVN.

http://thinkinging.com/category/tortoisesvn/

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,325 Views)
One of the advantages of TortoiseSVN is that you don't need a dedicated server to use it. You can create a repository on any drive (physical or network) that gets backed up regularly.

In terms of the structure inside the repository, the real question is how should you organize your LV work area? The code repository should reflect that basic structure.

For example, on my computer I have a directory at the root on my C drive called "Projects". Inside Projects, I first have a directory called "Toolbox" this directory is the first SCC trunk that I create. Inside Toolbox, I keep (organized by function) all the reusable code that I maintain.

I also create directories inside Projects named for years (i.e. 2013, 2014, etc). Each of these directories is also a SCC trunk. Inside these directories I create directories or each project I start that year.

The advantage of this structure is that other people can load projects without needing to resave them because the paths changed.

Remember, conventions are your friend. I have been looking into WordPress a lot lately. WP is an incredibly successful open-source package, that is successful mainly be cause it defines conventions that allow you to seamlessly create entire websites without needing to get into the messy details of HTML, CSS, PHP, or datbases.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,316 Views)