LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why won't the old examples in tutorials open with recent version of Labview?

Hi,

I just ordered a NI 9401 digital I/O module to use with the cDAQ9174 to measure period.  I was trying to find information about how this is done online, and there are many examples with titles that paraphrased are approximately "vi to measure period using counter"...paraphrased,, sorry, I can't remember the exact wording, but, if you search "period measurement" you will find many references to using counters to measure periods between rising edges, or periods between falling edges etc.

HOWEVER, when I try to download and open these vi's I get an error message telling me that the vi is too old for my version of labview (2011).  Why wouldn't 2011 be backwards compatible?  See the screenshot for the error...this occurred with many I tried  to open.

Any advice on learning how to create the vi to measure period of two separate sensors that output voltage periodically with the rotation of a wheel, sort of like an encoder?  I am using NI 9401 on cDAQ9174.  My understanding is that the counters reside in the chassis.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,205 Views)

LabVIEW 2011 can open version 6 or later, thatls more than 10 years back

. Most likely you are looking at examples that are obolete (e.g. traditional daq). Have you tried the example finder within LabVIEW?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,200 Views)

Where did you get the examples from?

VI's that are too old cannot be opened in newer versions of LabVIEW.  LV 5.1 and older is too old.  (Way too old!)

You first need to open it in and intermediate version (LV 6.0 to LV 8.2) and save again.  Then the VI can be opned in LV 8.5 or later.

How to Upgrade or Revert a VI to a Different Version of LabVIEW

If you don't have the intermediate version of LabVIEW, then post the VI in the Upconvert thread.  Tell us what version the VI is in and what version you want it upgraded to.

Message 3 of 13
(3,199 Views)

I can probably go back and find some of these vi's but, I can't tell what version they are because I can't open them!!!  I tried right-clicking, but, that didn't work either.  I can probably get the file and attach it here.  Do you know how to tell what version it is?  My version is 2011.

How do I get an intermediate version of Labview?  I bought Labview 2010 and upgraded to 2011, so, I don't have version 8.  Is there a way I can get version 8 as part of my current license?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,194 Views)

The error message shows they are 5.0.1.

You can ask your local NI rep to see if you can get a copy of an older LabVIEW version.  Otherwise, do what I said and post the VI to the upconvert thread and someone with an intermediate version will upgrade it for you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,191 Views)
Please don't attempt to convert those old VIs. They use a hardware driver that is no longer supported and that you cannot use. Use the examples that come with your version of LabVIEW.
Message 6 of 13
(3,186 Views)

OK, thanks guys.  I'll stay away from anything that doesn't open with my current version.  Asi I said, some of the descriptions of these obsolete vi's looked like they would be very educational for me in terms of using the counter to determine period of my signal, which is highly irregular.  I found a few tutorials and some other examples, so, hopefully, I can get started once my 9401 arrives next week.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,183 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

Where did you get the examples from?

VI's that are too old cannot be opened in newer versions of LabVIEW.  LV 5.1 and older is too old.  (Way too old!)

You first need to open it in and intermediate version (LV 6.0 to LV 8.2) and save again.  Then the VI can be opned in LV 8.5 or later.

How to Upgrade or Revert a VI to a Different Version of LabVIEW

If you don't have the intermediate version of LabVIEW, then post the VI in the Upconvert thread.  Tell us what version the VI is in and what version you want it upgraded to.

Kudos to the new Knight!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 8 of 13
(3,176 Views)

Hi Steve,

I found these examples at ni.com.  I don't recall if they were on the forum boards, or the knowledgebase, or the tutorials.  I can try to find one and post it for you.  I was doing LOTS of searching to find information about my programming needs, so, I just don't recall where they were.  But, there were plenty of them!

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,151 Views)

OK, here you go.  "DAQ-STC: Measuring the Period between Successive Rising Edges of a TTL Signal (Easy-Level VIs)"  This vi will not open with Labview 2011, BUT, this is exactly what I want to do (I think). 

I want to measure the period between successive rising  edges of a TTL signal using the counter on my new NI 9401, and I am looking hard for some educational material to help me  understand how this is done.  Any suggestions?

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,106 Views)