cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why broken arrow wont appear for a timed while loop

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I need a small clarification related to normal while loop and timed while loop in labview.

In labview, if I keep a while loop on a block diagram, broken arrow will appear on the top left corner of the window indicating error. It shows error because I didnt wired conditional terminal of the while loop.

But same is not the case for a timed while loop.Can anybody tell me what is the reason behind that....

If i unwire the conditional terminal of the timed while loop, it will run infinfite times like a normal while loop. Then y labview behaves differently for these two kinds of loops in the above scenario.

FYI...I am using labview 2009.

Waiting for reply.

Thanks,

Harika

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,209 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author haari

Harika,

the reason is quite simple: Timed loops are primarily for real time targets and FPGAs. Since most applications on those targets run without any interruption (at least this is most often the task), it is valid to create a loop which does not terminate. So the timed loop by default assumes that there is no need for a stop button.

The "normal" while loop needs code for termination (conditional terminal) because normal applications on Windows/Linux/Mac are used be quitable.....

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 4
(2,204 Views)

Thanks Norbert.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,171 Views)

Harika,

you should change your user name unless you enjoy receiving spam.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,167 Views)