LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where do I start (complete newbe)

Here we go. I need to learn LabVIEW ASAP!  Where do I start? My background: 1 yr vb.NET GUI w/ ACS Motion ControllerI Program in C/C++, vb.NET, C#, Java, ACSPL+, ladder logic and assembler and C for PIC microcontrollers. (with varying degrees of success)I am a junior in the BSCS program at Metro State University finishing my degree at night; I am also doing a math minor.I am practically comfortable with signal conditioning electronics.I have worked with (used) LabVIEW based systems for the last 5 years.I can learn just about anything if I can find some form of detailed info on it (I don’t need everything “abstracted” for my own good!) What I am up to: I have specified a system using a cFP-2210 and a quad encoder, adc and strain gauge module to build a system that logs data to a PC by a user click a start/ stop button.  I don’t have the specifics nailed down yet but each channel will need to acquire 100 samples/ sec.  I can figure this out on my own. What I need: I have not written a single line of LabVIEW code.  In fact, I understand that you don’t write lines of code in LabVIEW.  What I need is a book or tutorial that can explain the boring old basics of how to get started building a simple GUI, hooking up to cFP and collecting data.  I have searched AMAZON and there seems to be several books but I have no Idea which one to buy.  Help! Also, I have looked at the Developers Zone and found some helpful info but no “getting started” tutorial.  I assume this is because LabVIEW is such a broad product that getting started is different for every one but what I need is some basic LabVIEW programming how to.  Help! Thanks for your time and I look forward to your replies.  I am always excited to learn a new language. Kyle  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,297 Views)

I would recommend you learn more about LabVIEW from here. How to Learn LV

Search the forums for LabVIEW books.  You'll find several threads that have recommendations.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(3,289 Views)

Sorry my text looks so bad, I did skip lines and use indentations?

Thanks for the link!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,273 Views)

Ehhh, actually you could learn the basics in about 5 minutes.  Just understand that each control or function represents a structure and the connectors are where you pass parameters in and out of it.  Do you have LabVIEW in front of you right now?

Let's do it!  Take a simple function like addition:

screen1.jpg

Two inputs on the left (the two numbers to add), one output to the right (the sum of the two numbers).

Mouse over the top left input.  The cursor turns into what's supposed to be a spool of wire.

screen2.jpg

Right-click and you have a menu.  Choose Create -->  Control.

LabVIEW correctly guesses you want a numeric control.  A control is where you can input data of your own.  Check it out!

screen4.jpg

Mouse over the bottom left input.  You get the spool again.  This time choose Create --> Constant from the right-click menu.  A box opens up.  Enter a number you'd like to add.  I'll choose "3."

screen5.jpg

Now right-click on the output and choose Create --> Indicator.  This makes what comes out of the function visible.  LabVIEW knows it's a number you want to see and chooses the right type of indicator for you.

screen6.jpgscreen7.jpg

Now enter a number in the "x" numeric control either by using the up/down arrows or just by entering a number.  I'll choose "5."

screen8.jpg Click on the run arrow (screen9.jpg) and... screen10.jpg

You just made your first VI!  I was going to do a "hello world," but this example is actually easier.  😉

Bill

Edit:

Just remember that the inputs and outputs are paramters passed into and out of a structure.  Wires merely take the output from one sttructure and pass it into the input of another.  As you would expect, the types of parameters you are passing from one to another have to match in type.  Plop down another function, then delete the indicator.  Wire the output of the original function to an input of the new one.  Do lots of other stuff, too.  🙂

Message Edited by billko on 08-14-2009 01:15 PM
Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 21
(3,264 Views)

billko wrote:

Ehhh, actually you could learn the basics in about 5 minutes. 

No   you   can   not.

Richard

Message 5 of 21
(3,262 Views)

Broken Arrow wrote:

billko wrote:

Ehhh, actually you could learn the basics in about 5 minutes. 

No   you   can   not.

Sure you can.  Like anything else, it takes five minutes to learn, a lifetime to master.  🙂 (I meant the BASIC basics.  I could teach you to BOWL in 5 mintues, too - doesn't mean you'll be any good at it.)

These guys just don't want you to know they're getting paid to have fun.  😉

Message Edited by billko on 08-14-2009 01:23 PM
Message Edited by billko on 08-14-2009 01:27 PM
Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(3,254 Views)

The best book to use to get started with is called LabVIEW for Everyone 3rd edition by Jeff travis and James Kring.

You can also use the getting started manual that comes with LV. It usually comes in PDF format too. there are also some tutorials out on the web that are for free.

And no you cannot learn the basics in 5 minutes. Yes you may be able to actually find what you are looking for on the functions pallete, put it on the block diagram (considering you know what that is) and right click on it and add controls and indicators in 5 minutes. But to know the basics will take you a couple of days. Years to master.

Message Edited by Joe_H on 08-14-2009 02:30 PM

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,248 Views)
I can name that tune in 4 minutes!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,228 Views)

Kyle.Kyle,

Exactly which cFP I/O modules are you planning to use?  You need to be carefull because some of these modules do not have very fast update rate. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(3,224 Views)

Kyle:

Handy resources other than book within LabVIEW itself are:

Ctrl-H to turn on context help, gives help summary and details when cursor is over an object on the block diagram (BD).

Under Help- use Find Examples. LabVIEW ships with 100's of pre-built functional programs and example code.

Good Luck and have fun. The wire is the variable, try to avoid use of global and local variables and sequence structures to control program flow. LabVIEW is based on data flow- a function will execute whenever all of it's input variables arrive. Turning on execution highlighting (the yellow light bulb) while viewing the BD during program execution will illustrate this.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,216 Views)