LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.vi file reading outputs in front panel

Can you receive&send input/output data without an .exe file? I am running a .vi file and want data to be outputted onto the front panel without having to run an .exe file. As of right now only the .exe file is outputting data but this is hindering me because once I make changes i have to then remake the .exe file. I want to be able to edit the .vi file then be able to see if the changes change the outputs. Thank you for the help. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,425 Views)

Hi stackers,

generic answer: all code executed on your computer needs to be compiled, even your VI…

@stackers123 wrote:

Can you receive&send input/output data without an .exe file? I am running a .vi file and want data to be outputted onto the front panel without having to run an .exe file.

The VI should show those output values on it's frontpanel, regardless of being used in the IDE or in an EXE…

@stackers123 wrote:

As of right now only the .exe file is outputting data but this is hindering me because once I make changes i have to then remake the .exe file. I want to be able to edit the .vi file then be able to see if the changes change the outputs.

Why is only the EXE able to produce the desired outputs???

When you develop code then you should work inside the LabVIEW IDE and test your code.

Once the code is finished you create an EXE from your VI/project. (I guess you don't want to call the C(++) code for a tool like Office or IEplorer/Firefox/Chrome, don't you?)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 9
(2,415 Views)

I am new to labview so, sorry for the below your level questions but when I compile my code, if I have errors with that hinder my front panel reading outputs? and your question "Why is only the EXE able to produce the desired outputs???" is the question i have been trying to figure out. I want to be able to edit my code within my labview IDE and not have to export to .exe file while also being able to read outputs. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,407 Views)

Hi stackers,

@stackers123 wrote:

when I compile my code, if I have errors with that hinder my front panel reading outputs?

When you compile the code, then there is no (syntax) error in the code. Why do you expect errors after compilation?

(Side note: even VIs always have executable code when they are error-free…)

@stackers123 wrote:

I want to be able to edit my code within my labview IDE and not have to export to .exe file while also being able to read outputs. 

Then just do that! Can't you edit your VI in the LabVIEW IDE?

Why don't you attach your VI (or an example VI) to show/explain the problem you have?

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 4 of 9
(2,403 Views)

Thanks for the quick responses gerdW,

So when I try to compile I receive compilation errors. Would this be why my VI files are not showing outputs? The reason for this is because I only have the basic version of LabView and cannot output to and EXE file but want to receive outputs from the hardware we are reading. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,391 Views)

Your question makes absolutely no sense. When developing LabVIEW code you develop a vi which can be run inside the LabVIEW development environment. For many applications this is adequate. For other applications you may want to build a stand-alone executable (.exe) which can be executed outside of the development environment. The training material at the top of this forum is a good starting point for learning LabVIEW basics.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,388 Views)

Hi stackers,

@stackers123 wrote:

So when I try to compile I receive compilation errors. Would this be why my VI files are not showing outputs?

Which error do you get? As long as you don't attach any VI (or other useful information) we cannot say why your VI is not showing any output…

@stackers123 wrote:

The reason for this is because I only have the basic version of LabView and cannot output to and EXE file but want to receive outputs from the hardware we are reading. 

I don't get the meaning of this sentence…

Why do you need an EXE when you want to communicate with your hardware? Why don't you do the debugging using your VI (which you still didn't attach)?

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 7 of 9
(2,387 Views)

I am unable to share more information on this subject due to its classified nature but wanted to see if reading outputs from VI files is possible through the front panel. If this is possible, would errors while compiling be the issue for no output readings. I am able to read i/o through an .exe file but not directly in the .vi file. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,371 Views)

Hi stackers,

@stackers123 wrote:

I am unable to share more information on this subject due to its classified nature but wanted to see if reading outputs from VI files is possible through the front panel. If this is possible, would errors while compiling be the issue for no output readings.

You even can't create a simple example VI "due to its classified nature"?

To read "outputs from VI files is possible through the front panel": use the connector pane! (Which you should have learned by going through those LabVIEW beginner tutorials offered in the header of the LabVIEW board!)

When you get "errors while compiling" (aka: broken run arrow in the menu bar) you will get no outputs as the VI is not executable at all…

@stackers123 wrote:

I am able to read i/o through an .exe file but not directly in the .vi file. 

Still you don't provide any useful information to help you on this issue. No error messages, no code, not even an image of code…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,316 Views)