From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using FPGA and Labview without RIO board.

Dear Sir

I am a student. I want to connect my own FPGA and make a program on labview and then transfer to FPGA.I do not want to buy RIO.Is it possible to work

like that without purchasing RIO.

Thanks a Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,734 Views)

Nope.  And I don't see this happening any time soon.  NI puts a lot of work into getting their LabVIEW FPGA drivers to work for their own product.  There's no way they are going to even attempt to support somebody else's.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,719 Views)

I will answer your question the way you asked it.

Yes NI supports programming FPGAs using LabVIEW without RIO boards I've been doing it for years and it works great.  Here are a few non-RIO products I've used LabVIEW FPGA with.

PCI-E Version

PXI Version

USB Version

That being said if you a student you can also get the myRIO for $250 which has a built in FPGA, and dual core ARM for real time.  Loads of features and cheap with the down side of not being reconfigurable like the more expensive RIO devices.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,658 Views)

Hooovahh wrote:

Yes NI supports programming FPGAs using LabVIEW without RIO boards I've been doing it for years and it works great.  Here are a few non-RIO products I've used LabVIEW FPGA with.

You know, the first sentence of the "Overview" of the PCIe-7841R to which you linked is, "The NI PCIe-7841R multifunction reconfigurable I/O (RIO) board..." and it's listed under the R Series Multifunction RIO product line, so I think that qualifies as a RIO board.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,648 Views)
Okay fair enough RIO wasnt in the product name, but it is part of the RIO line.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,641 Views)

There is/was support for Spartan 3E starter kit (I do not know if it is still supported unded 2013/2014).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,632 Views)

I don't think the Spartan 3E starter kit is supported in newer LabVIEW versions, and for the price you don't have to try. That  board costs almost the same now as the myRIO for educational purposes. For non-educational use I think the myRIO is more expensive than was stated here in this thread.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,628 Views)

LabVIEW 2012 is the last version with support for Spartan-3E kit

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,613 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

PCI-E Version

PXI Version

USB Version

The PCIe and PXI cards you mentioned are specifically RIO.

But you managed to program a USB-6225 with LV FPGA?  I'm not even sure there is an FPGA on there to program.  It is an M series DAQ board.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,598 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

But you managed to program a USB-6225 with LV FPGA?  I'm not even sure there is an FPGA on there to program.  It is an M series DAQ board.

That's what I get for trying to be smart.  I searched for FPGAs, then copied a device from the PCI section, PXI section and USB section.  But somehow after selecting USB it went to all USB devices not the USB FPGAs.  This is what I meant to link to, which is also part of the RIO line, but not with RIO in the product name.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,576 Views)