LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb to serial

I am using a device (power meter..Maestro)  that talks over a USB Cable.  I downloaded the usb drivers from the manufacturers website and can talk to the device using Hyperterminal.  When I try and use MAX or Basic Serial Read/Write.vi neither works.    The read field of the vi is blank.  Does VISA treat the USB as a serial interface??  Its showing up as COM 3.  I did put in all the correct parameters..BAUD, Stop BITs, parity..etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,725 Views)

Hi Mark,

did you also read the device's manual and did you set the EndOfLine char correctly in the VISA-Init call?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,720 Views)

It should act like a VISA Serial:Intr class.  Did you close the hyperterminal connection first?  You can't open two connections to a COM port.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,717 Views)

Try adding termination characters to your writing command. In serial terminal these are added automatically but not in labVIEW. So, add CR and LF to your command.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,715 Views)

Yes, closed the Hyperterm  Past exp has told me you can't have to sessions open at the same time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,701 Views)

Unless that is unique to Labview..the manual says I don't need the cr and line feed....but I'll give it a shot.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,699 Views)

Gentec also has LabVIEW drivers, which may make your task a bit easier:

http://www.gentec-eo.com/downloads

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,679 Views)