From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb printer

Hello all,

I am looking for a repair ticket printer that I can access through Labview.  I would like to address it as a windows printer.  I was able to write a driver that made use of the report writer, but when it compiled for use through the runtime engine I ran into the dirty dot (unsaved changes) and was not able to find the source of the VI that was causing the problem.  I rewrote the driver to save to a file (and hence not use the report writer) and the problem went away. 

This morning I spent 2 hours looking for a receipt printer that comes with labview drivers, and the people I talked to pointed me at NI.  I browsed through their driver catalog and nothing with the manufacturers I have found showed up (Star, Epson, Brother).  Anyone have any suggestions?

At my wit's end,

Mike

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,516 Views)

NI does not write windows drivers for printers. Generally, if you have a printer and it comes with a windows driver, LabVIEW can access it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,499 Views)

Okay, now for the next question.  How would Labview acces it through windows?  I found VIs that print wiring diagrams and module documentation, but not a text string.

Mike

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,483 Views)

There are options on the Report Generation palette to add controls/indicators to the report.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,477 Views)

My original solution was to drop the report writer in my instrument driver.  The problem I ran into is when the application that runs it (IVVIVI) runs it with the runtime engine the dirty dot of death showed up (unsaved changes).  If I took the report writer modules out the dirty dot went away.  I even downloaded a labview app that searched the VIs in a given folder to set the "Separate compiled code from source file" property as desired.  I found and corrected a number but the problem still prevails.  I think a couple NI VIs were under password protection, so I could not change them.  Don't recall if these needed to be changed.

Any suggestions on how to find the source of the dirty dot?

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,469 Views)

I'm not sure what the 'dirty dot' problem is. If you don't want to use the report generation toolkit, you can pass controls/indicators to a subVI. For VI Properties, there are print options including to automatically print front panel.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,464 Views)

I don't want to print the VI.  I want to print a series of text strings, each string being one line.    The dirty dot means I have unsaved changes, because one of the VIs being used is configured to "Separate compiled code from source file."

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,456 Views)

You want to print string controls on a VI. I just described a way to do that without using the report generation toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,447 Views)

I'm not following you.  Was that in another thread?

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,436 Views)

What I should have said is that you CAN print string controls. If you don't want to use the report generation toolkit, as I said, you can pass the string to a subVI that is set to print when finished.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,430 Views)