LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb cDAQ 9178 not detected

I am having a problem getting the NI Device Monitor to recognize my cDAQ-9178 when I connect it. It shows up in my Windows Device Manager, but when I run MAX it does not show up. I have two third party RS-232 devices connected via USB and MAX recognizes them. This is a PC where LabView was just installed with a licensed version of LabView. I had this device working on another PC using the 30-day trail version of LabView.

Any Ideas how to resolve?

I'm close to uninstalling and re-installing LabView.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,418 Views)

Hello MwMonty, thanks for posting your question, please see the following links that may lead to a solution to your problem:

My Devices Are Not Listed in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX), but They Show Up in Windows De...

Why Are NI Device Loader (nidevldu) and NI Configuration Manager Services Not Starting?

Eric NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,399 Views)

I'm having the same problem, MAX not detecting the cDAQ-9178 when the USB is connected. If I connect my USB-9000, it is recognized just fine. This is a new install of LV 2012sp1 over my previous LV2011sp1.  Following the link suggested...

My Devices Are Not Listed in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX), but They Show Up in Windows De...

the solution recommended is removal of MAX and reinstallation via a component driver like NI-488.  However, when I proceed to uninstall MAX, I must say "Remove All" to the "Dependent Products", which is essentially the whole 2012 install.  That sounds like a painful solution! Is that really the only way to reinstall MAX?

Greg

Greg R.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,256 Views)

Something else you could try first 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C7480E856987FFF862573AE005AB0D9?OpenDocument

Carl W.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 4 of 9
(5,246 Views)

I completed the "Reset Configuration Data" in MAX as indicated above.  It had the effect of deleating all previously connected DAQ devices from the Devices & Interfaces list, but still no recognition of the cDAQ-9178 when attached.

The cDAQ-9178 is not recognized as a "Data Acquisition Device" in the Windows Device Manager, and indeed after the USB cable has been removed and re-inserted (the second and subsequent tries) into the USB 3.0 port, there is no indication that its detected at all.  (This all worked fine with LV 2011sp1).  The 2012sp1 came with DAQmx 9.6.2 and I'm currently downloading DAQmx 9.7.

Greg

Greg R.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,240 Views)

DAQmx is now updated to 9.7 with no change, that is cDAQ-9178 not recognized in MAX or by Windows Device Manager

• when connected to the USB 3 port, no beep, no recognition at all in Device Manager or in MAX
  • when connected to the USB 2 port, a beep is generated in Windows, along with a notification that the USB Device Not Recognized.  This is also shown in MAX (cDAQ shows up as unrecognized device in USB listing, with no listing in Data Acquisitoin Devices.

Since I just installed 2012sp1 (from 2011sp1) I assumed this problem is related to a corrupted install, but now I wonder if

• failed USB device in the cDAQ? (The cDAQ lights: Power (green), Ready (never comes on)). 
  • faulty USB on my PC? (seems to work fine with USB-6009, and with backup hard drive)

Greg R.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,232 Views)

I would check to see if the nidevldu service is running in the background on your computer. It may be that that service isn't running so you can't see it in MAX.

Go to Windows task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and check to see if it's in the services tab.

TimC
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,219 Views)
I just checked my PC w/LV 2012sp1 connection to a cDAQ-9172.  This works fine, was recognized and configured in MAX, opened a Test Panel and communicated with I/O module on USB bus.  Seemed fine.  However the cDAQ-9178 still is not recognized in any way on this same PC.  I'll check this cDAQ-9178 unit on another PC running 2011sp1 or, if I can 2012sp1. 

One question in the mean time:  The "Active" light on the 9178 is amber "unconfigured" what does that mean, that its not connected or that there's a USB fault in the 9178... not at all clear in the manual.

In Windows Processes, I do not see the device loader (nidevldu) although the device monitor (nidevmon) is running.  The Services window shows that nidevldu is started automaticallhy, but as noted I do not see it in the running processes.

Greg

Greg R.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,212 Views)

I think connecting the cDAQ-9178 in another computer will indeed determine us if the issue is the device or the PC having conflicts with it. Another question I have is if you’re able to link the driver manually by right-clicking on it in the Device Manager. It should appear as ‘’unknown USB device’’ if it isn’t listed under Data Acquisition Devices.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,184 Views)