From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgraded from Labview 7.1 to 8.0

Hello, I am new to labview and all of it's functions.  I am trying to upgrade one of our test sets from Labview 7.1 to 8.0.  After the upgrade I have a few vi's that no longer work.  I am unable to post the vi's today but I wanted to start this thread in case someone has any ideas w/o viewing the vi's.  One of the major issues is broken wires on vi's that worked in 7.1 but do not in 8.0.  One example is from the "niFgen Get Session Reference.vi."  After the update the error states-"This wire connects to a polymorphic terminal that cannot accept this datatype."  The wire goes from the "register session" to the session reference.  I will try to upload the vi ASAP but the earliest that could happen is next week.  Any ideas before then would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Paul B

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 68
(1,844 Views)

NIFgen is not part of LabVIEW, but part of an instrument driver, so make sure you download and install the correct version. Maybe there is a better forum for your question. (sorry, I am not familiar with it. Also search the forum (example)).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 68
(1,840 Views)

Also please explain why you are upgrading from a prehistoric version to a slightly newer prehistoric LabVIEW version. Both are at least 16 years old! Why not leave it all at 7.1? What is your OS? Windows XP?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 68
(1,831 Views)

I understand the stupidity of upgrading from one dinosaur to another but my options are limited in many ways.

Right now we have 32-bit WIN XP OS.  Our original test software is written in 7.1.  There is a plan to upgrade everything to WIN 10 and labview 2018 one day but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  We had a copy of version 8.0 around and it was suggested as a possible short-term remedy since we don't have any labview wizards working at our site. 

We have been having lots of trouble with our automated test sets freezes or locking up.  We upgraded out PC hardware but not the OS.  Usually it isn't the PC that locks up.  Mostly we get a labview error(Function Generator conditions not met, or the test step just keeps looping without ever moving on/timing out.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 68
(1,822 Views)

Hi bruno,

@pbruno11 wrote:

I understand the stupidity of upgrading from one dinosaur to another but my options are limited in many ways.

Right now we have 32-bit WIN XP OS.  Our original test software is written in 7.1.  … We had a copy of version 8.0 around and it was suggested as a possible short-term remedy since we don't have any labview wizards working at our site. 

I don't understand the stupidity in doing an upgrade from LV7.1 to LV8.0 when there is "no LabVIEW wizard" on site!

Why do you change (mostly) running systems when there is no support available???

@pbruno11 wrote:

There is a plan to upgrade everything to WIN 10 and labview 2018 one day but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I don't understand the stupidity to plan to upgrade to an already outdated version of LabVIEW "one day in the future"! (Ok, LabVIEW2018 is still in the support range of 4 LabVIEW version including the latest one, but that changes in about 6 months!)

@pbruno11 wrote:

my options are limited in many ways.

There have to be better options than the ones mentioned by you… 😞

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 68
(1,796 Views)

everything around here moves like molasses.  Is the smart option to just upgrade to Labview 2020 now?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 68
(1,793 Views)

Hi bruno,

@pbruno11 wrote:

everything around here moves like molasses.  Is the smart option to just upgrade to Labview 2020 now?

When you want to upgrade systems/code, which is atleast 16 years old, then I would recommend to refactor that code using the latest LabVIEW version. (As LabVIEW2021 has some problems you should wait until LabVIEW2021SP1 arrives.)

And I strongly recommend to hire a "LabVIEW wizard" to assist you in upgrading. This can be a full-time job on site or you hire a consultant service (aka NI Alliance Partners.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 68
(1,790 Views)

@pbruno11 wrote:

We have been having lots of trouble with our automated test sets freezes or locking up.  We upgraded out PC hardware but not the OS.  Usually it isn't the PC that locks up.  Mostly we get a labview error(Function Generator conditions not met, or the test step just keeps looping without ever moving on/timing out.  

I am assuming that this is a new problem that did not exist prior to hardware upgrade. I don't think that an upgrade to any LabVIEW version is going to fix the problem. I rather suspect that the problem has always been there but did not rear it's ugly head until newer faster processors messed with the timing. How does the function generator communicate with the PC? There are likely fundamental problems with the way the communication protocol was written. This means that the program needs to be refactored, and I would highly recommend doing that with a more recent LabVIEW version. This leaves you with the following options as I see it:

1. Try to do this yourself without any training or the help of a "LabVIEW wizard"

- this has the advantage of lower short term outlays, but ultimately costs more due to mistakes that could be

avoided

2. Take the online training courses to get a basic understanding a LabVIEW programming best practices and then

do it yourself

- the cost for training courses will pay for themselves in time and stress

3. Hire a "LabVIEW wizard" 

- this is likely the best option if you don't want to become the LabVIEW wizard, especially if you have other

LabVIEW projects

4. Contract a "LabVIEW wizard"

- this works well if all you need done is to refactor and upgrade this one software

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 68
(1,788 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

And I strongly recommend to hire a "LabVIEW wizard" to assist you in upgrading. This can be a full-time job on site or you hire a consultant service (aka NI Alliance Partners.)

Those people are hard to find (for hire as regular employees).  Most of the people who are good at LV are already happily employed.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 68
(1,777 Views)

It's really really emergency buddy, can you please tell me how much HDD space your LabVIEW 8.0 folder specifically occupies? I'm to upgrading from 7.1 it's around 275 mb ,with just LabVIEW installed.

So,how much space 8.0 folder occupies? Can you check it by properties menu for me,please!!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 68
(665 Views)