From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updated control values automatically

Dear all ,  I am trying to update a Numeric Control from GUI manually and  from VI automatically in labview.  While changing the setting of  a device I am trying to operate,  a parameter   controlled by the Numeric Control is changed internally. This has to be updated to the GUI.  I couldn't  find a way to implement this. would you help me please?  I would like to  thank in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,075 Views)

It would really help us to help you if you attached your VI so we could better understand what you are trying to do.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 5
(3,072 Views)

Hi fikadu,

in the simplest case you would use a local variable of this control…

But I agree with Bob: attach your VI when you have problems with this VI!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 5
(3,068 Views)

Thank you a lot  for you  response.  

My program is not complete enough to run. Thus, I just simply attached the VI and the Controls I used. My intention is to feed back the two outputs of the VI to  'LoadPreset' and 'TunePreset' Controls(update to the GUI).  By the way, I was trying by creating a local variable.  The problem here is, while  changing the value manually from the front panel, it couldn't be effective.  Thank you once again for your help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,030 Views)

fikadu wrote:  The problem here is, while  changing the value manually from the front panel, it couldn't be effective. 

1. Your controls need to be inside of the loop in order to be read.

2. Constantly updating a control just makes for a horrible user experience.  The occasional update due to the user doing something is generally fine.  But the control should be a user set point.  Use an indicator to show the actual value and let the user change things as needed.  You could also add a button to let the user decide when the control should be synchronized.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,026 Views)