From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

type def

Solved!
Go to solution

Trying to use and understand type def/control and strict type def.  Thought I understood until I open the "Simulation-Tank Level.vi" that ships w Labview ( 2014).  On the front panel are two boolean indicators.  They have been modified to look like value symbols from ( I guess) "ISA Symbology" .  If I understood type defs there should be an accompanying *.ctrl file of the modified boolean.  I can't find one.  How were those two booleans modfied and still put in the Simulation-Tank Level.vi.  I've read what strict type def and type def are and think I understand.  What is control?? and how is it used.  When I change to edit mode in the type def and right click on the boolean, select "Picture Item" it shows four pictures of the boolean in 2 different states..ON/OFF/ON/OFF .  Why 4??  Why not just OFF and ON.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,875 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clint_Eastwood1000

There are three options for custom controls: Control, Type Definition, and Strict Type Definition. Only the latter two are linked back to a master copy. A custom control has no such link; once it's placed on the front panel, it's independent. That's what you're seeing in that example. If you don't need or want every instance of a control to update when you change the .ctl file, then you should use a control rather than a type definition.

There are 4 image states for booleans: On, Off, transition from On to Off, and transition from Off to On (I don't remember the order of those last two). This is useful when you want to show some image during the transition, for example while you're holding down the mouse button over the control.

Message 2 of 6
(2,847 Views)

@nathand wrote:

There are 4 image states for booleans: On, Off, transition from On to Off, and transition from Off to On (I don't remember the order of those last two). This is useful when you want to show some image during the transition, for example while you're holding down the mouse button over the control.

Just for compleness I'd also like to mention the system buttons.  They have two additional images because they support a mouse over image.  

The standard 6 visible images can be defined as:

• Normal (no mouse), Mouse Enter, Mouse Down

for each of

• Un-depressed and Depressed
Message 3 of 6
(2,836 Views)

Thanks Nathand..Is there somewhere I can go to get this info??  I looked everywhere.  So do you think in the example vi they imported a picture from a file??  or did an actual dwg.  if they did their own custom dwg would it have been in something like MSpaint then imported or can you "draw" in the custom control ?  How do you create the custom control/indicator w/o saving it as a *ctrl file?  That sounds what I need.  A custom indicator/control that is unique to my one vi.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,806 Views)

@Clint_Eastwood1000 wrote:

How do you create the custom control/indicator w/o saving it as a *ctrl file?

Right-click on your control and go to Advanced->Customize.  It will open up a control editor.  Do what you want and close the control editor when you are done.  You can choose not to save the control.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,790 Views)

thanks everyone..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,772 Views)