From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble using binary read/write

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

The binary read/write function is somehow not working properly in my application.

i a storing a 2D strign array in binary format. when the user closes the app, the app saves the table values to the Bin file.

N when the app starts, it reads the file and displays its content on the table.

The system works properly if the total size of the content is 3 bytes. but, if the content size exceeds 3 bytes, the program just returns NULL value at the start when i read the Bin file.

Procedure to Save:

Convert the 2D array into String by using "Flatten to String" fn and save it in into binary file.

Procedure to Read:

read binary file. convert the output string to 2D array using "Unflatten from string" .

I am attaching my code here. pls have a look at it and let me know the cause of the problem. 

Ritesh 

Message 1 of 5
(2,893 Views)

Hi there

Set the "prepend array or string size? (T)" parameter to TRUE.

Or use the "Spreadsheet String To Array"/"Array to Spreadsheet String" to convert the 2D string arrays to a human readable string.

Best regards
chris

CL(A)Dly bending G-Force with LabVIEW

famous last words: "oh my god, it is full of stars!"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,878 Views)

HI Chrisger,

I just tried  putting "prepend array or string size? (T)" parameter to TRUE, and still it didn't work.

i dont want to store it in a human readable form so i am going with binary file. is there any other work around?

Ritesh 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,869 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LVCoder

I don't quite understand why you're flattening to a string a 2D array of strings. That's redundant. You seem to be also overriding the default byte order from big endian to little endian. Are you trying to save it in a format suitable for other programs on other platforms?

If not, all you need to do is this:

Example_VI.png

Message 4 of 5
(2,851 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

I don't quite understand why you're flattening to a string a 2D array of strings. That's redundant. 

same here. Even i dont understand what i was thinking when i was writing that piece of code.
Anyways, thanks alot for correcting me. The code is just working fine now.

Thanks,
Ritesh 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,845 Views)