From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trigger delay

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a digital trigger switch which is connected with an NI module. How can I know the amount of delay from the trigger to the Ni module?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,455 Views)

Depends on your device. Each device has a rating on the scale of microseconds.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,447 Views)

Here is the data sheet..is this the one saying propagation delay 3 ms? how do I account for ?Trigger.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,398 Views)

That's 3 microseconds. Plus the rise/fall time of 50 nanoseconds.

Do you have something switching that needs to account for that small of a switching time?

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,392 Views)

I have a data acquisition test that lasts for about 20 milliseconds..Do I need to consider this delay?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,386 Views)

That depends on the application. 

3ms is 1/6667th of your trigger time. In everything I've worked on before, this isn't an important amount of time.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,377 Views)

Just to clarify, If the trigger is recording on the falling edge we have: 

50 nanoseconds = 0.00005 milliseconds (rise time)

Propagation delay = 3 microseconds = 0.003 milliseconds (propagation delay)

In total, we have a delay of 0.00305 milliseconds. If the test will last only 20 ms from the time the acquisition is triggered, I guess this delay can be considered as negligible?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,363 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MikeCamer

Yes.

AKA 0.00000305 seconds out of 0.02 seconds trigger duration.

AKA 305usec out of 20000usec

AKA 0.305nsec out of 20000000nsec

It's up to your application if it's negligible. If the nuclear reactor is going to explode in 2 microseconds unless this digital trigger shuts its down first, you're hosed. Otherwise, good to go.

Nothing is instantaneous, including any input signals you have. The propogation delay is on the rising and falling edge of the signal, so the signal length will still be 20ms, it will just be shifted by the 3us delay.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,353 Views)

Thank you very much for solving my question James 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,345 Views)