From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transition from 5.0->8.2

I have a large labview program done in 5.0.  My lab is in the process of upgrading to 8.2.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about upgrading the program or is there a way to run the 5.0 version through 8.2.

The new hardware: NI PCIe-6259,
BNC-2110
BNC-2111

Thanks,
Yin Song
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,329 Views)
I use 8, but was able to download and run a VI written in 6 without trouble.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,325 Views)
This particular program uses a lot of data acquisition sub-VI's.  I was wondering if there was a guide or tips on replacing the dat acquisition sub-vi's. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,317 Views)
You replaced the old DAQ board with a PCI-6259? If that's the case, then you will have to rewrite all of your DAQ code. The PCI-6259 is supported with DAQmx only and you had to use traditional DAQ with LabVIEW 5.0. NI has a set of compatability VIs that you can try.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,313 Views)
The biggest thing which you will see immediately is that the DAQ drivers are completely different. In LV 5 they were called NI-DAQ and now they are DAQmx. There is no direct one-to-one correspondence, so the data acquisition parts of the program will need to be modified.

How difficult that will be depends very much on how the program was originally written and how well it was documented.

In addition many improvements have been made to LV, such as the event structure. It may be worth the time it takes to rewrite the entire program. Key factors in the decision to rewrite include: How well is the original program documented or understood? Does it have a structure which is easily modified (for example a state machine)? Does it have things which good practice would now avoid (sequence structures, local variables rather than wires, oversized diagram with few subVIs)? Is there a requirement to modify the functionality or add capability to the program?

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,313 Views)
Thanks for the help everyone.  I've decided to just reprogram.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,281 Views)