From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

targetdir is undefined

Hi All,

I have a requirement to create an installer from LabVIEW that will install a few folders & files in the MyDocuments Directory. This installer can be run in XP/Vista/Win 7.

I created the installer build spec by adding some auto-populating folders and also few other files into the Destination view list in Source Files Tab. I build it once and was able to install it. When I open the installer build spec again, I dont see these auto-populating folders in the Destination view and the "Move Right" arrow is also disabled for the folders that I have already transferred to the Destination View. When I build the installer with this same spec and try to install it, I get this error "TargetDir is undefined. The Directory table seems malformed. Aborting...". Can anybody help me with this?

I am currently using LV2010 and Win XP and trying to install these files in a Win XP machine. The same error is returned when tried on different machines.

Thanks,

Saranya

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,712 Views)

Still there in LV2011 on win7

Installer was working, I changed a directory (in App Data) in my installer and now everything in corrupt and messed up.

Did you ever find the cause of the problem?

- where did the "me too" button go?

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,463 Views)

I too was getting the error message, “TARGETDIR is undefined, the Directory table seems malformed. Aborting...”, when running an installer I built with the Application Builder. I’m using LabVIEW 8.5 on a Windows 8.1 PC. I have 2 versions of my product and hence 2 installers. I built and tested the first one, and it installed just fine. Then I build the second one, which installs to a different folder within the same parent folder as the first one. When I ran setup.exe I got the error message. However, it installs just fine on other computers. Something apparently got corrupted on my PC.

One forum post suggested to run CHKDSK /r, which I did. It took about 3 hours to complete (which, by the way, was stuck at 11% for most of the time, so just be patient), and it did not inform me if there were any errors or not, but that did not resolve the problem. I tried re-building the installer with a different target (destination) directory, but that did not help. I still got the error message.

Then I tried uninstalling the existing version (the prior version) of my program, and re-ran the installer. Low and behold, it worked! Normally there is no need to uninstall a previous version; the new version will just replace (update) the old, existing version. Anyway, this is something very easy to try if you are experiencing a similar problem. Hope this helps.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,135 Views)