cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

syringe pump - KD Scientific Legato 210

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm having problems in using my computer to connect and communicate with the legato 210 syringe pump from KDS.

I found this link from national instruments:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=16884

but I didn't manage to do the communication via usb.

Is there a way to use the files in the link or other software that allows this connection?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,419 Views)

Can you be more specific than "I didn't manage to do the communication via usb"? Show us your code. What error occurred? What didn't work? Are you able to talk to the pump from other software (for example, from a terminal emulator)? If the device includes a USB-to-serial adapter (many do), did you install the driver for that adapter (in your operating system, not in LabVIEW)?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,415 Views)

Thanks for your reply in advance,

Actually its my first time programming in LabView and a syringe pump and I'm having some troubles.

I have LabView 2013, and I also downloaded and instaled the package that contains all DAQs from National Instruments.

The syringe pump I'm working with (KDS LEGATO 210) has several ports to communicate. The main ones are: USB port; RS232; RS 485(IN/OUT); Digital I/O.

The idea of this work is to control the syringe pump (withdrawal and infusion), using the computer. For that I was thinking on using LabView and an usb port.

I searched for a program/package in LabView that allows the connection of this specific syringe pump to the computer, and I found the program with the link in previous post.

I thought that this program was a package with specific icons in LabView to work with, but instead it has programs in LabView for specific instructions of syringe pumps. One of the problems is that these programs have icons not recognized by this LabView version (they are from 2012 and LabView is from 2013), so its dificult to read them and test them. To open these files I must choose "ignore all" otherwise the program cannot find the paths.

Them it is not possible to open the main program, which gives me the errors in attachment.

Can you give me some help?

Do you know other simpler ways to this? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,344 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dcra
You installed it to the incorrect location. You didn't follow the instructions on the download page. It does not belong in any users folder. It belongs under instr.lib which you apparently have a copy. Did you also do the automatic Help> Find Instrument Drivers. This would have installed the driver in the correct location.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,330 Views)

dcra wrote:

I thought that this program was a package with specific icons in LabView to work with, but instead it has programs in LabView for specific instructions of syringe pumps. One of the problems is that these programs have icons not recognized by this LabView version (they are from 2012 and LabView is from 2013), so its dificult to read them and test them. To open these files I must choose "ignore all" otherwise the program cannot find the paths.

Please follow the Installation Instructions (which are clearly linked from the driver page). The problem is not the LabVIEW version. It cannot find the files because you did not follow the instructions and the files are not in the correct location. You should be able to use the LabVIEW 2012 version in 2013, although you may be prompted to re-save some files the first time you use them. Or, you can follow the installation instructions, then do a Mass Compile (see the help) on the directory that contains the driver VIs to save all of them at once for 2013.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,327 Views)

Thank you for your help.

Using the drivers instalation option from the LabView gave me no problems and now all icons from this syringe pump are visible.

But the problem is not completely solved since the program can't initialize:

- The usb connection is not recognised when I open the options given by "VISA Resource name" (it should be auto detected). Do you know how to solve this problem?

Error in attachment

Thanks for your patience

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,280 Views)
You haven't installed NI-VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,277 Views)

I've looked at the drivers from NI. The one I've installed is: "NIVISA1401full".

But an error remains (diferent error: check in attachment). Is it the way I initialize the communication?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,239 Views)
What value did you put in the VISA resource name control? A screenshot of the front panel would help. You should have selected the COM port to which your pump is connected (might be a virtual port if it's through a USB to serial adapter built into the pump).
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(5,226 Views)
The resource name has a pull-down menu on its right side. You should use that and select the com port from the list.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(5,220 Views)