LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

string control with memory functionality

Hi,

we all know the smart memory functionality from string controls in almost every software of whatever kind. ´When the user starts to type into such a control a pulldown menu appears and suggests a number of words with the same letters in the beginning that have been typed in recently. Is there any equivalent ready-to-use solution for LabVIEW string controls or do I need to program a solution myself?

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,374 Views)

There is no built in control for this, although the combo box comes close if you create a property node for it and feed it a list of possible strings.

If you want an example of how this can be done, you can see one here.

You may be interpreting what an application like Internet Explorer does for you as a general "feature" of textboxes (a.k.a. string controls in LabVIEW). This is not a general feature of the controls, even with the standard textbox that is available in Visual Studio. As tst mentioned, the System Combobox is the control you want.

If you must use a textbox (i.e., you don't want to display a dropdown), you then have to program this feature yourself. Note that tst's example doesn't quite work right in LabVIEW 8, as the scrollbar is still visible after the table is dismissed. Still, the basic idea is to respond to an event with the control and make another control visible, which in your case could be a listbox, for example. The even that you would respond to is a key press event.
Message 3 of 5
(2,355 Views)
The NI-devzone has an XControl that does this

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 4 of 5
(2,337 Views)
Tons of thanks, Ton ! Smiley Very Happy
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,301 Views)