LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange observation in closing_process.vi

If you give the input as below, the output varies. What is happening? Please explain the behaviour of this.

String                     Result
e    --->  All opened windows and all applications (including LabVIEW) gets closed.
er   --->  All opened windows only gets closed.
en   -->  Only LabVIEW gets closed.
es   -->  Only LabVIEW gets closed.
ex   -->  All opened windows and all applications (including LabVIEW) gets closed.

Everyother inputs show normal behavior.

Thanks,
Mathan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,311 Views)

Hi mathan,

there is nothing special. The decision to terminate a process or not will be made by a match pattern function, so if the character is in the process name, it´ll be terminated.
See the attached example, which shows when a process will be terminated.
#Could be a little bit "Rube Goldberg", sorry# Smiley Happy

Hope it helps.
Mike

Message 2 of 6
(2,275 Views)
That seems like an awful lot of DLL calls and rotating with carries. What are you trying to accomplish?
Message 3 of 6
(2,259 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:
What are you trying to accomplish?

I just downloaded this somewhere when i was studying in forum here. While running found that behavior and also i was not able to fully understand the concept of that program. That's why posted.

Mike and smercurio - Could you please tell what is the general definition or just tell the meaning of Rube Goldberg. I know there is a seperate thread for collections of that codes. But i need the general meaning of that word....

Message Edited by mathan on 07-31-2008 01:23 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,240 Views)

Hi mathan,

see this link, please

Mike

Message 5 of 6
(2,237 Views)

MikeS81 wrote:
See the attached example, which shows when a process will be terminated.
#Could be a little bit "Rube Goldberg",  Smiley Happy

Thanks mike, So Goldberg means doing a simple task in a complicated way. Thanks for the link.

In your previous post, why you mentioned that it was a bit Rube Goldberg. Why so? any specific reasons? i mean is there a general simple way for that code?

Thanks,
Mathan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,232 Views)