From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

step through exe

I understand that you can enable the debug option when you compile the exe.  However, I want to know what kind of debugging tools are available when I debug my exe.  Can I step through the exe one step at a time?  Can I view the BD and probe the wire when the exe run?  What tools are available for debugging an exe?

Yik

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,446 Views)

From the LabVIEW Help (Fundamentals -> Organizing and Managing a Project -> Using Build Specifications -> Debugging Applications and Shared Libraries, or just from searching for "debugging" and then selecting the "stand-alone applications" sub-item):

Debugging Applications and Shared Libraries

You can debug stand-alone applications and shared libraries that you create with the Application Builder.

Note  The LabVIEW Professional Development System includes the Application Builder. If you use the LabVIEW Base Package or Full Development System, you can purchase the Application Builder separately by visiting the National Instruments Web site.

Complete the following instructions to debug a stand-alone application or shared library.

Note  When you debug applications and shared libraries, you cannot debug reentrant panels that an Open VI Reference function creates. You also cannot debug reentrant panels that are entry points to LabVIEW built shared libraries.
  1. Before you build the application or shared library, you must enable debugging in the build specification. For an application, place a checkmark in the Enable debugging checkbox on the Advanced page of the Application Properties dialog box. For a shared library, place a checkmark in the Enable debugging checkbox on the Advanced page of the Shared Library Properties dialog box. Enabling debugging retains the block diagrams of the VIs in the build so you can perform debugging.
  2. Place a checkmark in the Wait for debugger on launch checkbox if you want the application or shared library to wait to run any VIs until you run the debugging tool.
  3. Build the application or shared library.
  4. Run the built application or call the shared library.
  5. From the Project Explorer window, select Operate»Debug Application or Shared Library to display the Debug Application or Shared Library dialog box. The dialog box displays a list of applications and shared libraries with debugging enabled.
  6. If the application or shared library you want to debug is running on a different computer, enter the computer name in the Machine name or IP address text box. Click the Refresh button to view the list of applications and shared libraries with debugging enabled on the remote computer.
  7. Select the application or shared library you want to debug.
  8. Click the Connect button to perform debugging. LabVIEW downloads the application or shared library and the front panel of the startup VI appears for debugging. If you enabled Wait for debugger on launch, you must click the Run button to start the application or shared library.
  9. Use the block diagram of the startup VI to debug the application or shared library. You can use probes, breakpoints, and other debugging techniques to identify and correct problems.
Note  If you are debugging using a custom probe that uses a Call Library Function Node on a shared library that was not built with the application or shared library you want to debug, you must place the shared library in the same directory as the application or shared library you want to debug.
  1. After you finish debugging, close the startup VI, which also closes the remotely controlled application or shared library. If you want to disconnect the remotely controlled application or shared library without closing the startup VI, right-click the startup VI and select Remote Debugging»Quit Debug Session from the shortcut menu.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,440 Views)

A simple search of 'exe debug' turned up this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,440 Views)