LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

standalone application

Hi everyone,

I’m new user of labview and I would be really appreciated if someone could answer my question. 

How can I leave my circuit work alone without using computer control? Is it by downloading the IV I’ve built into the board? if yes, How??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,237 Views)

What is the hardware/board you're using?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,235 Views)

I'm talking in general.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,232 Views)

Well I can't give you a list of all the NI hardware that can run independently from the host computer... but yes it is possible to load your code onto a target and have it to run independently from the computer you developed your code on.

The choice of appropriate hardware will depend on the system you want to control.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,221 Views)

In general you need the application builder!

Honestly if you want to stay that vague all you can expect are equally vague answers.

From your use of the word "board" I would assume you talk about embedded systems and there the whole situation is anything but general. It depends on what CPU and OS you are running on it. If it is an x86 based CPU and a Linux based OS, you have a fair  chance to run the LabVIEW for Linux runtime system on it. If it is x86 and Windows Embedded the chances are even better. If it is Windows CE you need to look into the Touch Panel Toolkit but be aware that it supprots only specific versions of Windows CE. If it is anything else the general answer is:

Take one of the NI RIO solutions! Anything else is more trouble than it's worth.

For low volumes the effort to get LabVIEW connected with the target toolchain with the help of the LabVIEW Microprocessor Toolkit is to extensive and the Toolkit to expensive. And the resulting code has serious performance issues, due to the complexity of translating the parallel LabVIEW VI diagram into convoluted C code to be cross compiled to your target.

For high volumes the benefit of using LabVIEW to develop code for the target is diminishing, both because of the performance issues you will inevitably run into, and also because you will sooner or later have to learn the C(++) programming environment for your target toolchain anyhow, as it starts to make a difference if you need more memory for the LabVIEW solution.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 5
(2,220 Views)