LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stacked sequence does not trigger

I am reviewing Pull-down Menu.vi in Labview BasicsII: Development Coarse Manual. When I go through Exercise 2-7, I never get the dialog boxes. I have the Get Menu Selection wired to the stacked sequence where it connects to the box containing the question mark. When I choose "Test 2" or any of the menu choices, it does not trigger the frames.

I ran the program in solutions on the disk, and this program runs correctly, showing the dialog boxes.

I have had this problem before. I connect a wire to a stacked sequence where it shows the question mark. But the stacked sequence ignores the information coming to it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,391 Views)
I don't have the course information infront of me, but from your description I think you are confusing stacked sequences with case statements. A stacked sequence will execute each of its frames in turn, regardless of what you wire to its edge, whereas the case, if connected correctly, will execute the value wired into the ? box. If you wire a boolean it will have true/ false cases, a type def will have cases that coorespond to the controls choices, a numeric control will cause numeric cases. If you can make a picture of your screen (PrtSc button on your keyboard, open "Paint" program, paste and then save as a Jpeg, Not a BMP) it might help identify your problem.

P.M.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2 of 5
(2,380 Views)

First, I think you're refering to a case structure and not a sequence structure.

Second, you are probably not defining your cases properly. You can use probes to examine exactly what data you're sending to the case structure selector terminal (that's the question mark). If you are using strings, the strings have to much exactly to the strings in the case definition. If they don't match, the default case will execute. If, after using a probe to see what data you are sending the case structure, and after making sure you defined the cases correctly, you still don't see what's wrong, you should post your VI.

I realize saying this is a bit unnecessary, because you already started, but...
To learn more about LabVIEW, I suggest you try searching this site and google for LabVIEW tutorials. Here and here are a couple you can start with. You can also contact your local NI office and join one of their courses.
In addition, I suggest you read the LabVIEW style guide and the LabVIEW user manual (Help>>Search the LabVIEW Bookshelf).

Thank you. I typed "Test1" instead of "Test 1" in the Menu Editor. I needed someone to point that out to me and I really appreciate your reply. Again Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,367 Views)

The item tags that you create in the run time menu must be the same as the cases in the example.  They are taking the "item tag" and wiring it directly into the case selector.  Any misspellings that you have or extra spaces will cause a problem.  Also once you make the change make sure you save the .rtm file.  Here is the example for all that don't have them.  Hope this helps.

BJD1613

Lead Test Tools Development Engineer

Philips Respironics

Certified LV Architect / Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,360 Views)