LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stabilization of measurement

Hello all,

I am trained to measure the temperature of a thermocouple with a labview program but the measurement result is not stable (see graph attached). If you know a way to get a stable value please help me. The labview program is avaible as an attachment (appointed Thermocouple).

Best regards

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,857 Views)

It would be nice to have some idea of the time and amplitude scaling.  Are we looking at "noise", a "bad instrument", or what?  The measurement seems stable enough, just has a lot of variation.  Maybe the physical situation you are measuring has the same variation ...  Or maybe the code you are using is inserting "random noise" into the data.  

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(1,819 Views)

Bob Schor, thank you for your reply.

The time scaling is: 0 to 500s

amplitude scaling is: 0 to 100°C

The thermocouple works well because i tested it with a multimeter. I believe it is noise that destabilizes the signal and i don't know how to solve this destabilization problem.

Thank you in advance 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,792 Views)

Over 8-plus minutes, I would start thinking that this is real data, and the issue lies with keeping the temperature stable.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,788 Views)

From the look of your Vi you are taking data as fast as possible.

What is your hardware?

Does it have proper cold junction compensation? 

Also I took a quick look and your data it's hard to tell but it looks like it is within the standard accuracy of a thermocouple, as most common types are +/- 2 degrees C.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,780 Views)

billko, 

Yes the problem is with the temperature stability. Is it possible to have a stable value with a labview program ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,778 Views)

RTSLVU,

This is the type k thermocouple.

I am using the NI-DAQ 6001 available as an attachment.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,777 Views)

@drsisco wrote:

I am using the NI-DAQ 6001 available as an attachment.

Well there's your problem, no cold junction compensation and a low resolution DAQ.

Best you can do is some type of smoothing like a "running average" of your readings.

========================
========================
Message 8 of 13
(1,766 Views)

In addition to what RTSLVU stated-

It appears that you are not using K-Type T/C wire- this will cause measurement errors.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,747 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

In addition to what RTSLVU stated-

It appears that you are not using K-Type T/C wire- this will cause measurement errors.

-AK2DM

I said that too but when I looked for a table to post I noticed the IEC color code is Green with Green/White wire for K type

unnamed.jpg 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,738 Views)