From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

software testing?

Anyone has ever used LabView and TestStand for software testing purposes, more specifically avionics firmware?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,820 Views)

Not yet!  But certainly something that is doable.  You will want to completely document the development process though

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,813 Views)

I have used LabVIEW and TestStand extensively for software, more specifically firmware, for many years. Most of teh LabVIEW work I have done has been focused on firmware testing. I have not worked in the avionics field but worked extensively in the telecommunications industry and for the past 6.5 years have been developing automated systems to test the firmware in barcode printers.

One thing to note when developing test systems for firmware testing, especially in TestStand, is that the number of tests you perform can be significantly greater than the number of tests on traditional hardware systems. When developing these types of systems you need to be aware of the number of tests and develop your system accordingly. For instance, our test suite for the printer currently consists of over 1200 sequences. Managing this effectively is very important in order to allow tests to run quickly and efficiently. We are in the process of chaging the architecture to use fewer more general test sequences driven from a database but we had inherited a large number of tests from a previous automated system which ended up with the current design.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,804 Views)

@acheo wrote:

Anyone has ever used LabView and TestStand for software testing purposes, more specifically avionics firmware?

thanks

What type of information do you need specifically? If you are asking the general question: Is LabVIEW / TestStand used in testing avionics firmware: Then yes, it definitely is. I have seen it, first hand, used in testing firmware using both ARINC and that new protocol on the Dreamliner (forgot the acronym).

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,792 Views)

Dreamliner = B787

Thanks for your reply. We are seeking for a test platform that has the capability to test hardware (production, manifacturing) and software (FAA, JAA, MOTCertification - DO178B). I know this may not exist but I must explore all options.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,780 Views)

Sure, you can do this with any programming language.  Its efficiency depends on how familiar you are with the platform.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,751 Views)

I still haven't decided if we will go forward with NI. Could anyone give a list of pros and cons with a platform involving TestStand and LabView. As mentionned earlier, we are seeking for a platform that will allow both hardware and software testing.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,684 Views)

While the usual use of a TestStand/LabVIEW combo is to develop automated testing, it is a natural fit for software verification.  It's easy enough to make a master sequence that has all your sub-tests as subsequences that, if you're clever with parameters, you can design to run as standalone tests, too.  Like Mark said, be aware that since you are testing all the logic for all the firmware capabilities, this can be a HUGE undertaking.  But that isn't really related to the platform - I'm just making you aware of the scope of your task.

Bill

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,659 Views)

Ok, I'm glad to hear that. We are testing software against DO-178B.

What are the skills set required to design a test case with LabView?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,632 Views)

Probably you can do most stuff in TestStand, using LabVIEW to do complicated analysis.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,621 Views)