From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sine wave generation with host vi for FPGA PCI-7833

I'd like to ask you a favor for some help on labview.  I'm trying to generate sine and cosine waves with Labview.  There are many methods, such as use sine wave. vi, sine wave point by point.vi or use a formula node, or use create analog signal, etc.  I do not know which one is the best to use.  Also I'm interfacing my program with FPGA PCI-7833 which will eventually convert numbers into integers.  I don't know which one will give me the best resolution,etc.  Because I'd like to have a better control and eventually form a feedback loop, I assume the save wave function generator on FPGA vi would NOT be a good choice for me.  I'm wondering if you could help me understand which one would be the best choice.  Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,190 Views)

Hi soljiang,

Without knowing more about your application, it's hard to say which method would be best.  Could you describe a bit more about the signals you need and how this will fit into the rest of your project?  If the inputs and outputs of the feedback loop are all on the PCI-7833R, then the FPGA function generator may be the best way to go.  Your control loop will run faster and deterministically on the FPGA, and for now you can still create controls for the parameters of the signal so your host VI can update frequency, etc. when you need to.

Thanks,

Morgan S

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,175 Views)

Hi, Thanks, Morgan. Now I have a new problem.  I can't go on with my work now.  I installed Labview 2010 in addition to the old Labview 8.5 on my computer.  I have two PCI-7833R.  Now I used Measure and Automation explorer to detect the two cards.  After I hit refresh.  Two cards does show under Devices and Interfaces but they are not under RIO as described in the manual.  Also when I use Labview 2010, when I go to My computer > New > Targets and Devices, the two PCI-7833R  RIO0 or RIO1 cannot be detected.  I cannot use them in Labview.  What should I do?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,155 Views)