cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple example+huge delay+fpga

Solved!
Go to solution

hi member

i try to caclute number of clock for this example to caculate the delay for the """for loop with 1000 itration"" 

delay.png

after the complition process the vi was excuted on fpga and read the tick count in pc with real time  and the number of clock was  as shown below 5002 clock

what is this ???

is thier any wrong in my vi

dealy1.png

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,019 Views)

What's the problem? It took 5002 clock cycles, which is probably 5 clock cycles per for loop iteration plus 2 cycles of overhead. What did you expect?

If you want one clock cycle per for loop iteration, then you need to use a single-cycle timed loop instead of the for loop.

EDIT: that's assuming that you have the Tick Count VI configured for clock ticks, not milliseconds or microseconds.

Message 2 of 9
(3,016 Views)

@nathand wrote:

What's the problem? It took 5002 clock cycles, which is probably 5 clock cycles per for loop iteration plus 2 cycles of overhead. What did you expect?

If you want one clock cycle per for loop iteration, then you need to use a single-cycle timed loop instead of the for loop.

EDIT: that's assuming that you have the Tick Count VI configured for clock ticks, not milliseconds or microseconds.

dear nathand:

i allways wait your answer because your answer always perfect

I think the wrong was from me

I put the single cycle and the number of clock was reduce

thank you

second if I calculate the delay in ms with out put any sigle cycle loop like exmaple above

is  it right that the frequency  of entire  system will be approximate  =1/delay

with consider approximation of 12.3 ms will 12!!??

Best regards 

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,010 Views)

@mangood wrote:

second if I calculate the delay in ms with out put any sigle cycle loop like exmaple above

is  it right that the frequency  of entire  system will be approximate  =1/delay

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking if the loop rate will be the reciprocal of the delay across the sequence structure? A more accurate way to measure the period of the while loop is to use a single Tick Count wired to a shift register. Subtract the shift register value from the Tick Count value. That will give you the time required for an iteration of the loop. The reciprocal of the loop period is the loop frequency.

Message 4 of 9
(3,004 Views)

@nathand wrote:

@mangood wrote:

second if I calculate the delay in ms with out put any sigle cycle loop like example above

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking if the loop rate will be the reciprocal of the delay across the sequence structure? A more accurate way to measure the period of the while loop is to use a single Tick Count wired to a shift register. Subtract the shift register value from the Tick Count value. That will give you the time required for an iteration of the loop. The reciprocal of the loop period is the loop frequency.

Yes this is what I mean exaltedly

So if  make a system (many component add,sub,) and put this system inside the ""while loop""

Then reciprocal of the loop period will be the loop frequency. Or system frequency is this right!!!

-----------------------------------------------

I am sorry for ask stupid question but my work in architecture of systems so these parameter is critical and important to me .

i left  my old work on ISE tool from xilinx company because the design of system take very long time so I now moved to labview fpga,its amazing especially in optimization process  but the clock Concept here is very weak and totally unclear.

Best regards

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,000 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mangood

@mangood wrote:

So if  make a system (many component add,sub,) and put this system inside the ""while loop""

Then reciprocal of the loop period will be the loop frequency. Or system frequency is this right!!!

-----------------------------------------------

I am sorry for ask stupid question but my work in architecture of systems so these parameter is critical and important to me .

i left  my old work on ISE tool from xilinx company because the design of system take very long time so I now moved to labview fpga,its amazing especially in optimization process  but the clock Concept here is very weak and totally unclear.

It's a different concept of clock than most FPGA designers use, that's true (I'm slowly learning about this as right now I'm trying to do some software work - C, not LabVIEW - on a processor running inside an Altera FPGA). For a normal programmer it makes sense - it works exactly the way it does on a desktop computer. On a desktop computer you don't need to know how fast the processor is, you just need to know how long it takes your code to execute.

I'm not sure what the distinction is for you between loop frequency and system frequency. There could be other components of the system that run at a different frequency that you don't see but are required by the LabVIEW environment (for data acquisition or communication with the host processor), but your code inside the loop will run at the loop rate that you measure with Tick Count.

Message 6 of 9
(2,996 Views)

Thank you a lot

all replay with kuds

"""There could be other components of the system that run at a different frequency that you don't see but are required by the LabVIEW environment (for data acquisition or communication with the host processor)""

i will put entire system in single while loop to solve these problem

for last

the delay during move information from fpga to indicator in the front panel of labview during run is consider or not ??

I mean if delay is 1 ms in loop period indicator 

is the delay  during move this value from FPGA to USB is considered with this 1 ms

I think it did not consider but i need to be sure

Best regards

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,993 Views)

@mangood wrote:

"""There could be other components of the system that run at a different frequency that you don't see but are required by the LabVIEW environment (for data acquisition or communication with the host processor)""

i will put entire system in single while loop to solve these problem

This isn't a problem, and you cannot avoid it. There may be code in the FPGA that does not correspond directly to any part of your block diagram, but is required in order for it to work. Why are you concerned about it? The reason to use LabVIEW is so that you don't have to worry about these details because NI took care of them.

@mangood wrote:

the delay during move information from fpga to indicator in the front panel of labview during run is consider or not ??

I mean if delay is 1 ms in loop period indicator 

is the delay  during move this value from FPGA to USB is considered with this 1 ms

I think it did not consider but i need to be sure

The time required to update the front panel indicator is not included in the loop period calculation; the indicator updates asynchonously.

Message 8 of 9
(2,950 Views)

okSmiley Happy

thank

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,945 Views)