From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple LV 8.6 vi crashes LV 2010

Hi,

I've a very simple LV 8.6 .vi that causes LV 2010 to crash. On next restart no crash investigation window appears.

It has no dependencies.

Mass compiled in LV 8.6 ok.

Attempting Mass compile in LV 2010 also causes crash. 

Does anyone see similar or can explain this?

Thanks,

ds1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,338 Views)

I notice that this behaviour does not occur in LV2010 sp1. It look like a bug to me.

It appears to be that as soon as I connect the DBL to the number of iterations (N) of the for loop that LV2010 immediately (and ungracefully) crashes.

Connecting a DBL to the iteration (N) will of course require it to be coerced to I32, this is not a problem in any other labview version.

Can someone confirm that this is a bug?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,334 Views)

I opened your VI with LabVIEW 2010 (specifically 10.0f4). I saw no crash. Ran your VI. No crash. Saved your VI. No crash. Closed VI and reopened it. No crash. Ran it again. No crash.

Don't understand the purpose of the code, though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,322 Views)

Looks like this is a known bug:

242603    LabVIEW 2010 crashes on compile if you have a divide primitive with dominator less than 1 wired to the for loop count terminal (N) 

The  0.01 denominator triggers the bug. It is present in LV 2010, I've checked with SP1 (10.01) and appears to be fixed. (I'm not sure what 10.0f4 version is)

The purpose of code is not really the issue, sure it can easily be implemented more effectively/efficiently etc but it it works and in 8.X etc. SP1 will now have to be rolled out to many users (which is a pain)

It is really disheartening when existing code cannot be relied upon with newer versions of LabVIEW and gives us less confidence in this constant upgrading. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,317 Views)

Hi ds_1,

You actually won't need to push 2010 SP1 to everyone.  This CAR was fixed in the 2010 f2 patch.  Also, I believe that this patch was on Update Service so if your clients have 2010 installed and have Update Service they should be notified of the patch.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,311 Views)