From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial to parallel converter in labview

Hi. Does anybody know how to convert serial data to parallel data using labview? I already used shift registers but it's not working.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,824 Views)

We probably need much more details.

(have a look here for some ideas)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,817 Views)

i just want to convert 1 bit serial binary data to parallel.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,807 Views)

i just need to convert binary bitstream into parallel. Can I use for loop for shift registers? If so, how can I use it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,785 Views)

To "parallel" what? Are you talking about an output interface or a data format? Please be much more specific? What is the data format of the "bit stream"?

What makes you think that FOR loop and shift registers are the anwer? That sounds pretty vague. What do you have in mind?

Message 5 of 10
(4,779 Views)

I want to convert it to parallel boolean (true or false) by storing one bit of binary data in every registers so i can combine it in 1D array.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,758 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,750 Views)

@Ralp wrote:

I want to convert it to parallel boolean (true or false) by storing one bit of binary data in every registers so i can combine it in 1D array.

You still need to be much clearer. LabVIEW does not have "registers". LabVIEW is a programming language, not a circuit simulator.

What is the datatype of the serial data? booleans, bits, bytes, U8, etc.

What is the datatype of the parallel data? 1D array of what? How big can it get? What do you want to do with it?

Do you get one boolean at a time and simply want to append it to a boolen array? That would be trivial. What have you tried?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,723 Views)

You should gather/generate your data inside the loop, then when you wire it out of the loop, right click the tunnel, select tunnel mode -> indexing.

This might do what you want it to.

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,643 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Ralp wrote:

Do you get one boolean at a time and simply want to append it to a boolen array? That would be trivial. What have you tried?

I'm thinking this is what he's asking but it sounds like another homework question so I'll also ask:  Show us what you have tried.  Post your attempt and we'll help you through it.  This is an easy task but it requires some knowledge of basic LabVIEW structures.  If you're a new LabVIEW coder we can certainly explain things for you but you do need to show us your effort.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,614 Views)