serial communication

My task as follow:
1.to acquire data from serial port ,which is
received from a SCM( Single Chip Micyoco) whose
program was written using assemble language;
2.display the measure data on the user interface
3.save the data to database.
4.to acquire two times data ,and save the higher
data to another feilds in every process .
5.to print the measure result after each process
Might you help me to conquer the difficulty and
implement it!Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,188 Views)
Hi,
I think that the first thing you have to do is to understand the protocol of talking with your device. You have to know which commands or symbols you have to write to your serial port to work with your device correctly. Usually you have to send there some commands to intialize the device and to set its configuration. Then you have to send some command to begin the work. And then some commands to read data or control your device. At the end of the work usually you have to send some command to close the session.
So your first job is to find somewhere how to work with the device. I think that you can read it from the manual or you can ask the manufacturer directly. If you can't do it then the only way is to undestand how the ASM program works.
So when you know the p
rotocol you may begin to realize it in LV using VISA functions for serial communication. This is very easy, just
1. Open Visa Session
2. Read/Write to your device
3. Close VISA session

In any case the knowing of protocol is the base and the start point in the LV programming.

Good luck.

Oleg Chutko.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,188 Views)
Some of the examples in LabVIEW that will help you after you know the commands you need to communicate with your device are:
- Serial Communication under Search Examples\I/O Interfaces Examples\Serial Communication Examples
- To save to a database you need to have either Database Connectivity Toolset. Examples are under.
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\Examples\Database
or you can use Microsoft's ActiveX technology. We do not provide any examples on how to write do a database using ActiveX.
- Printing can be done using Print Panel.vi under Functions>>Application Control subpalette, or using Report Generation VI, or Property nodes.

Zvezdana S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,188 Views)