From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial communication errors

I am currently trying to use the Basic Serial Write and Read vi to communicate through my bluetooth adapter.  However, I keep getting the following error:

Error -1073807202 occurred at Property Node in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Basic Serial Write and Read.vi
This error code is undefined. No one has provided a description for this code, or you might have wired a number that is not an error code to the error code input. 

I have allready tested my port with Hyperterminal and it works fine.  Can anyone help?

Sincerely,
Ray
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,154 Views)

-1073807202 VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF009E) A code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.

Is the VISA driver properly installed?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,145 Views)
Actually, I found my problem.  I haden't installed the measurements and autonomation so I suppose my VISA drivers weren't  installed correctly.  I am currently using the student versiona of labview 7 express which does not come with MAX.

Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,139 Views)
SWO Nuke wrote:
<cut>

device drivers are not properly installed
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,130 Views)
I do have another question.  I am trying to communicate to a basic stamp with my bluetooth adapter(on laptop) using serial port communication.  The basic stamp has a bluetooth adapter also connected to it.  However, I don't know what format the serial port sends data.  Is it Hexidecimal, ASCII, String, Decimal?

Sincerely,
SWO Nuke
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,121 Views)

I don't know what format the serial port sends data.  Is it Hexidecimal, ASCII, String, Decimal?

The simple answer is that everything that travels out of the UART is an ASCII character. The VISA Write function does not do any sort of conversion between what you feed in as a string and what goes out over the serial line.

You may want to take a look at this Serial Quick Reference Guide from NI. If you wire a string constant "ABC" to the input of the function then the data equivalent of "ABC" goes out. If you tell the afore-mentioned string constant to display its contents as hexadecimal ( which would equate to 41 42 43 ) then ABC still goes out exactly as before (it doesn't make any difference how the input constant is displayed). Everything has to be converted to an ASCII string before it is fed to the VISA Write function.

Don't make this too complicated by over-thinking it. It really is quite simple and straight-forward.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,115 Views)