From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending .arb files to function generator

Hi jithesh,

this "Arb Wfm Ops" does some kind of managing of the waveforms. The HP-F/G seems to handle more than one waveform at a time and you can use this function to store new waveforms (with setting a name) and to delete old waveforms.

The data input is an I16 array, that is converted to a string by typecasting. When your arb-file only contains the waveform it is probably in the same format. So you can use the function 'Read from I16 File' (LV7.1) to read the arb-file and send the data to "Arb Wfm Ops". In LV8+ you can use 'Read from Binary File', but you have to set the proper data type (see help window).

If your arb-file contains more information than just the waveform you have to parse those data anyway... "Binary format" can be anything, you have to know what's inside!

Message Edited by GerdW on 10-25-2006 09:30 AM

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 11 of 19
(1,230 Views)
Following is  the  discription given in a  manual from HP Bench Link software

.ARB
This file extension is used to designate an arbitrary waveform file saved
using the HP BenchLink/Arb application. The .ARB file is saved in a
proprietary binary format.

I have  set  the  data type  as  arra for  the  function "Read from binary file  vi "

i have  even tryed  to displa the  wave  form     on a  graph in lab view  itself , this
 time i got  the  squre  wave  displayed  properly  and  all the   other waveforms  are
 displaying  on the  graph  but  with some  irr regular shape .

could  u  plz   tell be what  data type  i need  to set  on Read from binary file  vi function
 and  can i   pass this  out  put  directly to
Arb Wfm Ops  vi .

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,219 Views)
Hi jithesh,

no, I can't!

As you wrote: "The .ARB file is saved in a proprietary binary format." You have to ask HP (isn't it Agilent nowadays?) for insight of their file format. There surely is more information in an arb-file than just the waveform (frequency, amplitude, offset, phase shift - just to name some). Again: "Binary format" can be anything, you have to know what's inside!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,210 Views)
The  wave forms  in the  .arb file  contains  only amplitude and  frequency .

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,202 Views)
Hi jithesh,

I don't have any arb-files to have a look on them.
From your description there are only 2 values in an arb-file? The filesize is just 8 or 16 bytes (containing 2 i32/SGL or DBL values, respectively)?

Again: "Binary format" can be anything, you have to know what's inside!
What is inside an arb-file? Which values, what kind of coding (e.g. data format, big/little endian, etc.)? You have to know all this when you want to read out "proprietary file formats"!

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 15 of 19
(1,198 Views)
Hi
i am getting  an error  while running  a  labview   program

-1073807 occures ait visa read in ag33xxx initlize.vi hex0xbfff0015  timeout expired before opration complete

please  let me know   if  sombody has   know  this  error

Thanks
Jithesh CN

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,161 Views)
Hi Jithesh,

This error code often means that there is no device at the address specified. Make sure that you have the correct address in the LabVIEW front pannel. I would also like to know what version of LabVIEW you are using? Are you able to run the included examples without receiving this error? The answers to these questions would greatly help us in this process.

Regards
Krista S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,146 Views)
HI
Thanks  for  the replay .

I am using  labview 8.0  and  i am able to  run the  example  programs  .
 but  the   problem  occures  when i am trying to  read  the  waveform files
created  using the  HP bench link software .

Thanks
Jithesh CN

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,141 Views)

Hi,

This basically means that the driver is working correctly but your having some issues reading these files. I am not sure what type of file or the specifications on them. Also how are you attempting to read these files. If you could attach a file you made that would be helpfull because I could try to read also. Thank you and have a great day.

Regards
Krista S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,122 Views)