LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

run when opened

Ok, i see where you are going and the suggestion that one of the knights made (I forget which one...) about needing a state machine is the way to go. You need to also make use of an event-driven architecture so you can put things -- like the acquisition process -- to sleep when you don't want it consuming resources.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(889 Views)
The potential problems with having the user enter settings when the vi is not running are very serious. How does the program know that valid values have even be entered? Shouldn't the program provide feedback if an entry is malformed or out of range? Read my earlier messages again.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(870 Views)

Post removed

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(807 Views)

I have found a workaround that permits creating an executable that does not run when opened.

In the EXE, 

Source File Settings - Custom VI properties - check Allow debugging

Advanced - check Enable Debugging

check Wait for debugger on launch

I admit there may be considerable "bloat" if you do not intend to use the remote debugging feature.

If you have a legacy program with three years of code, you cannot just rewrite it to conform to the general opinion that VIs should run when opened.

I need to have a choice on the installation machine of running the program locally or connecting a remote debugging session.  It works much better, if the executable does not run when opened.

(Sometimes it's best to give people an answer to their question, in addition to telling them your opinion.)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(794 Views)

He didn't need a workaround.  He set the start-up VI options as required by LV2012 and got his expected behavior.  

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(786 Views)

First thank you for your suggestion, answering OP's question is probably what OP desires.

That being said your comment about opinions is a little weak.  Quoting someone very famous, "If 10 out of 10 experts in any field say something is bad, you should probably take their opinion seriously."  This is one of those cases.

Message 16 of 16
(780 Views)