LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

run labview executable without installing

Hi

We need t run a LabVIEW executable without the need to install the runtime engine first.
In fact we use a LabVIEW program to distribute LabVIEW within our company.
We add our own library and a special license request form and make it possible to install a LabVIEW development environment
with only the push of one button.

In LV8.2 however this no longer works. First the runtime environment has to be installed before we can run our LabVIEW application.
Previous LabVIEW versions worked OK.

Are we missing an option in the installer somewhere or can somebody show the way to make this work again otherwise we have to keep 8.01 until infinity....
greetings from the Netherlands
Message 1 of 8
(7,890 Views)

Albert Geven a écrit:

We need t run a LabVIEW executable without the need to install the runtime engine first.

Smiley Surprised is that possible Smiley Surprised ?

I though that an executable will only run if the run time is installed, and in my mind, the installer we can create when building an exe was there to instal the runtime before copying the exe on a PC that previously had  nothing (no LV, no run time).

Am I missing the point Smiley Indifferent ?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,881 Views)

Albert, Jack Hamilton once published on LAVA the exact list of DLLs needed for running an executable without installing the RTE. That was obviously long before 8.2, but I would make sure that you have that entire list. Better yet, just copy the entire Shared\labVIEW Run-Time\8.2 folder and see if that works.

Or is that what you already did?

TiTou, this is basically done by having the proper DLLs in the same folder as your EXE and works (or at least worked until now) if you don't have any hardware you need installed.

Hi Albert,

Long time no see... Perhaps at the user group meting okt. 5?

We (Andre) did some experiments with this just last week. He copied everything from the normal installation directory (program files) runtime directory to a new directory on a clean PC. In the same directory he put an executable, and it did run properly (although I think he also copied the models directory to get proper control images).

Only thing is that at the startup of the exe, we get a dialog "Installing...". Still working on that. This might even work from a CD...

He made a big effort to remove all previous LabVIEW stuff, but to be honest, we didn't try it on a completelly "clean" system.

Regards,

Wiebe.

"Albert Geven" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1158309607721-416366@exchange.ni.com...
Hi We need t run a LabVIEW executable without the need to install the runtime engine first.In fact we use a LabVIEW program to distribute LabVIEW within our company.We add our own library and a special license request form and make it possible to install a LabVIEW development environmentwith only the push of one button.In LV8.2 however this no longer works. First the runtime environment has to be installed before we can run our LabVIEW application.Previous LabVIEW versions worked OK.Are we missing an option in the installer somewhere or can somebody show the way to make this work again otherwise we have to keep 8.01 until infinity....
Message 4 of 8
(7,866 Views)
See you in October

Adrie (you know him) tried this.
Our installer loads and starts but a new window open (or dialog that starts) shuts down the application.
Or better said the application crashes when another dialog or window is opened.
We want the user to give a chance to say WOW i do not want to install LabVIEW , so we have a start,exit and help button.
The exit works but start and help also exit.
Message 5 of 8
(7,859 Views)
Hi

we found a solution.
Adding the nicont.dll and nicontd.dll lets the program install LabVIEW or display help.
These dll's are found in the national instruments/shared directory.

In previous versions when a dll was missing you sometimes got a missing dll popup but now watson visited us.

I like the previous aproach better.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,830 Views)

This approach worked perfectly for me!  Thanks for the Post!

A

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,279 Views)

[cross-posted on LAVA]  Anyone ever try this in LabVIEW 2009 or 2010?  I'm eager to get this working, since I have a case where the end user cannot install the RTE because of a known issue with a MS hotfix.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,935 Views)