LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rt memory

Hello,

I have 4 GB in a Supermicro Desktop PC but my LabVIEW RT 2013 software sees only 2 GB.

I thought that I should be able to see 4 GB in the newest LabVIEW RT?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,282 Views)

momolxg wrote:

I have 4 GB in a Supermicro Desktop PC but my LabVIEW RT 2013 software sees only 2 GB.

I thought that I should be able to see 4 GB in the newest LabVIEW RT?

Indeed you should, as long as your BIOS mapped all 4GB within the lower-4GB address space.  Some 64-bit motherboards have BIOS's that don't map the entire memory range within the lower-4GB addressable range; what we do is probe the E820 memory address table and truncate all memory addresses above the 4GB addressable range (because our 32-bit OS cannot address that memory).  Check to see if you have a 32-bit compatibility mode within the BIOS to force the BIOS to map all of the memory (or as much as it can) to the lower-4GB address range.  If it does not, try moving the memory to another slot (if your motherboard has multiple unused slots) to see if the motherboard will treat the memory different that way.  

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,270 Views)

Thanks Danny - we will try the empty slots

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,263 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,246 Views)

@momolxg wrote:

Would it be better to try 2 x 2GB?

If I were to guess, I'd say you're more likely to see all 4 GB if you've got a single 4GB stick, unless your BIOS has a memory limit (such as only supporting up to max 2GB or only supports up to 2GB sticks) or has some huge memory hole programmed at 2GB.  I guess it depends on the motherboard.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,229 Views)