From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rs232 with a mass balance

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner and I'm trying to learn how to use LabView. My current task is to write a program for a labortary weight device and my professor gave me a RS232 cable. I connect both the device and the computer already, but I have no idea how to start the program at all because I've only used a DAQ card before. Right now the very first thing I need to do is to get a reading from the scale ( I have the front panel set up, but my block diagram only has icons). Can any one give me some suggestions or hints on where I should  start, or which sample program I should look at?

Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,748 Views)
Hi cabtsoibag,
to communicate with RS232 you can use the VISA drivers. Use the Example Finder and search for "VISA". One result should be the "Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi".
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,746 Views)
Take a look at the NI Instrument Driver Network:

http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/

With a bit of luck, you might find a driver for your particular balance in there.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,704 Views)