LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rs232 and daq simultaneously

Hi,

I am reading in data from the serial RS 232 port and other data from an NI SCXI set up, and I want to be able to read both as fast as possible. I haven't tried to code anything yet, but my suspicion is that the RS232 is not as fast at refreshing as the NI DAQ hardware. Is this the case? If so, what is the best way to implement this? The NI DAQ card will be reading voltage values and the RS232 will be reading 16 bytes of data.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,146 Views)

sunny dee wrote:...my suspicion is that the RS232 is not as fast at refreshing as the NI DAQ hardware. Is this the case? If so, what is the best way to implement this? The NI DAQ card will be reading voltage values and the RS232 will be reading 16 bytes of data...

Assuming a baud rate of 38400 b/s, which is already fairly high, you will be able to make about 240 readings/s on your RS232. I believe most ADC board can run at least 100 times faster. Of course, this depend on the number of channels you have to read.
In fact, serial communication is so slow that nowadays, the transmission is always the rate limiting step, whatever the code used to send or receive the data (except when the PC is really busy doing something else).
LV has some shipping examples of serial communication. You could start with that. Come back as soon you have some more specific question/problem.

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,136 Views)