LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rolling averages

Solved!
Go to solution

I would like to have a file (excel) that has  11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 or any random numbers in no specific order.

I would like to do an rolling calculation everytime the file reads. for example.

Add the first 5 numbers in the file and divide by 5 then drop the first number and move one to the right and get the next 5 number  then divide by 5 etc.

(11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15) / 5 = 13  the first time it reads then drop off the first number and move one to the right (12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16) / 5 = 14  then (13 + 14 + 15 + 16 + 17) / 5 = 15.

Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,247 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author *E*

There are many examples of running / moving averages on this forum. But I do not recall them ever being called rolling averages. So you might want to search for running or moving average.

A recent thread started by me comes to mind.

The simplest example I have seen while loop with shift registers, especially if you do not need to change the sample size at run time.

Untitled.jpg

Message 2 of 4
(2,242 Views)

S1ack Thanks for your reply!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,234 Views)

What have you tried?  Can you show you code?

I would use a shift register to hold your 5 element array and use the Mean VI (in the Mathematics->Probability and Statistics palette) to calculate you mean.  You can then use the Replace Array Subset to put your new element in the array.  I used the Shift 1D Array with a -1 places so that the replaced element was always in the first element.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,233 Views)